1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

What are we debating again?

Of course conservatives "virtue signal," as well. "Signaling" is an economics term, or at least it started as one. As another example, @typefitter has talked about his personal "windmill" - people not respecting the opinions of experts. What are an expert's credentials but a sort of signaling? When @typefitter pitches a magazine piece or book proposal, I am guessing he includes his credentials. When @YankeeFan courts a new coffee machine repair client, I am guessing he includes his credentials as a badass coffee machine repairman. There might be five other people in the pile who could write a book better than @typefitter, and 10 coffee repair machine savants who could out-repair @YankeeFan, even on their first crack at it. But @typefitter and @YankeeFan are the sure bets in the pile, even if neither is probably the best bet. But who wants to interview 100 people? So decision-makers look for signals.

But, indeed, the term "virtue signaling," as now adopted as a code word by the right, is kind of annoying.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Pretty good chance this was all some ratfuckery ordered up by Roger Stone.

lakefront likes this.
  4. Dick Whitman

If I were in the dating pool, and a woman made a big deal about her Christianity, in particular, in a profile, I would be unlikely to swipe left/right(?).

And it wouldn't be because of her politics. Or her religion. Not directly.

5. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I’m pretty sure that Sam Nunberg’s media blitz was a sort of guerilla audition to replace Alec Baldwin as Trump impersonator on “Saturday Night Live.”

HanSenSE likes this.
  6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

social justice warrior

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I don’t think there was any news value in the first three interviews.

But, even if you want to argue that there was, it was certainly gone by evening.

What added value is there for him to say to you, what he’s said all day in multiple interviews?

It lit up twitter, and folks wanted to be part of the show. It was pathetic.

8. Dick Whitman

Conservative Facebook was in an orgasmic frenzy when it was announced that the Oscars ratings were down this year.

The degree to which people in America currently define themselves by their party loyalty is nothing short of astounding.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

We are still talking about it days later, but you think there was no news value? You really should stop using words and phrases you do not understand.

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Funny, too, because there's really no cause-and-effect way to know why the ratings are down.

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Tim O'Brien, who knows the real Trump better than anyone, on his hiring/firing/rehiring/refiring/suing problem.

Trump Doesn't Have a Best-and-Brightest Problem

12. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

That wasn’t his reason for posting it. It was because triggered liberals were virtue signaling.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.