1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

One fewer adult in the room. Great.

4. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Remember, though, Tillerson was terrible until Trump lost interest in him.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Tillerson got his year of service needed to insure the tax break for his separation megamillions from ExxonMobil and hit the silk, in a way designed to cause his boss maximum embarrassment. Perhaps his only slick diplomatic move.

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

He was absolutely terrible.

And we can compound that nincompoopery by adding another shockwave of institutional instability to things.

Do we have an ambassador to South Korea yet?

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I have little sympathy for the guy. He's really sharp. He was very capable at Exxon. He also chose to leave his dignity at the door when he signed on for thisparticular job with that particular moron. I actually kind of believe the "wanted to serve his country" thing at this point in his life, and MAYBE he was naive enough to think that what he was walking into wouldn't be what it turned out to be. But he got into bed with something he (and everyone else) knew was a dog -- a particularly untrained, unruly, nutso dog. I'm not going to feel sorry for him for the outbreak of fleas that he got hit with. He should have known it was inevitable.

TowelWaver, HanSenSE, Webster and 2 others like this.
  8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

John Bolton and Larry Kudlow signing on for Season 3 of The POTUS...buckle up, it's going to be a bumpy ride!

9. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

I agree the constant turnover is not good, but if you think someone is bad at their job you don’t have much standing to get upset when that person is relieved of duty. Makes it look like you want to complain regardless. Seems a tad hypocritical.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Also, I find this a bit unfair. He's not getting a "tax break." In order to enter government, he had to divest himself of of his Exxon holdings. It was required. That would normally trigger massive cap gains for someone who owned as much stock as he did. The thing is, the only reason he did that transaction was that it was required for him to be Secretary of State. It's not like the stock was driving his decision making. The requirement waives those cap gains if you make it last at least a year. He'll still get hit with cap gains if he had gains on the treasuries he had to put his money into. It probably turns out to be a net benefit if it now allows him to diversify some of his holdings in a way that might have triggered more cap gains tax if he had skipped the stop of Secretary of State in between and just sold his Exxon stock. But you have to be really cynical to think he did any of that with a plan. He's got enough money where he doesn't have to use the nightmare of signing on to be Trump's Secretary of State as some kind of convoluted tax planning tool. I believe he simply wanted to be Secretary of State and serve his country in a way he thought was meaningful. And he didn't make the requirements of divesting himself of the stock.

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Hmm.

That sounds wrong.

If I object to a feckless dunce appointing an unqualified CEO to be the head of the State Department, and express that objection, I can still object to the manner in which he or she is replaced, and by whom.

Especially if that replacement is another poor choice.

12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.