1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Oh, I can think of a few Mexican towns where I'd like to live out whatever years remain of this freakshow administration. "Believe me."

2. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Maybe the Mexican military?

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Another stirring op-ed from a Stoneman student, written better than most college graduates could. Hell, part of it seems written by someone who was a counselor or psychologist.

Opinion | I Was Kind to Nikolas Cruz. He Still Killed My Friends.

I’m skeptical again. Did this student write this? Or was it shaped by an adult?

4. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

This strengthens the MAL theory, i.e. The Mar-a-Lago hypothesis.

melock likes this.
  5. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I believe she believes all that stuff and can articulate it to some degree. But the level of sophistication in placing systematic blame is...interesting.

I mean, read this:

But students should not be expected to cure the ills of our genuinely troubled classmates, or even our friends, because we first and foremost go to school to learn. The implication that Cruz’s mental health issues could have been solved if only he had been loved more by his fellow students is both a gross misunderstanding of how these diseases work and a dangerous suggestion that puts children on the front line.

It is not the obligation of children to befriend classmates who have demonstrated aggressive, unpredictable or violent tendencies. It is the responsibility of the school administration and guidance department to pinpoint those students and get them the help that they need, even if it is extremely specialized attention that cannot be provided at the same institution. No amount of kindness or compassion alone would have changed the person that Nikolas Cruz is and was, or the horrendous actions he perpetrated. That is a weak excuse for the failures of our school system, our government and our gun laws.

Does that sound like something a kid would write? This is, again, another piece in which gun laws aren’t really the centerpiece. Instead, it’s an analysis on how problem kids are handled, with an advocacy of “extremely specialized attention” at another “institution” if necessary.

The kids of Stoneman are policy analysts, it would seem.

doesnt it strike you funny?

SnarkShark likes this.
  6. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

It does sound like something the Dems would do: take over the show and thrust a script at the kids.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

When you guys have evidence, get back to us. Otherwise, you're just throwing shit against the wall, much like the "any athlete who accomplishes something unusual is doped" crowd on the board. In case you haven't heard, the high school is an an affluent multi-ethnic neighborhood, that is, there's a damn fine chance these kids parents are Democrats. But of course their parents have no right to advise them when it goes up against the American white male death cult.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I know Gee can get a little extreme on this thread, but he's right. Some of you are making accusations you can't come close to backing up.

How much writing by teenagers do either of you read? Do you even know what an above-average student at a school in an affluent neighborhood is capable of writing?

9. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Many of those parents are fucking horrible. You don't live vicariously through your children by thrusting them into the daily media spotlight immediately after a traumatic event. The kids are saying some incredibly stupid shit (they're kids), but they are not being protected by the adults close to them.

10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's the spotlight that they need protection from. Not the overly easy access to ridiculously overpowered rifles designed only for killing as many people as possible.

11. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

It's OK to advise them, sure. But I hope adults aren't writing the kids' scripts. That would be foolish.

12. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Rick, I know you're a generally intelligent guy, but you are increasingly isolated from the real world. Your thoughts are too often removed from reality.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.