1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Barro's tweet didn't last an hour. Since he's a reporter, maybe he did it on purpose to break up the no-hitter. After all, his team suffers when news is slow.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

With all the AP and other "extra credit" classes kids need to take to keep up, nothing short of a 5.3 GPA raises an eyebrow anymore.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That's a wild exaggeration, but yeah something between a 4.3 and a 4.5 is the standard at the places he applied and was rejected.

Among aspiring UC students, Hogg yesterday became forever known as "the kid with the 1270 SAT." A 4.2 paired with that test score tells me something not great about that high school.

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

5. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I'm throwing this up here because this is the high traffic zone. Feel free to put it where it best fits in Journalism. I copped it from John Knox's FB page. Knox is a very bright guy, professor at UGA teaching Geography and Atmospheric Sciences. He was a Rhodes Scholarship Finalist at UAB. It's not mine, I'm just crediting him. Figured some here would be interested.

"Print journalism is in a tough spot, but the vulture capitalists are the ones who are really pulling the plug on it.

Closer to home, "Advance" Media Group did the same thing to the Birmingham News, the Mobile Register, the New Orleans Times-Picayune, and so forth."

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I doubt you are.

7. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

8. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Pretty sure we can all assume that nobody scripted this sentence for the kid ... o_O

"I am not surprised at all in all honesty. I think there's a lot of amazing people that don't get to college, not only that do things like I do but because their voices just aren't heard in the tsunami of people that apply every year to colleges in such an economic impacted school system here which we have here in America where people have to go into massive amounts of debt just to go to college and get an education," he said.

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

A kid who hears voices telling him to commit mass murder, and who assembles an arsenal to do so, seems a likely candidate for at least a brief "institutionalization."

Isn't that one of the problems here? That no one inside his family or outside it followed through on an involuntary commitment?

A 72-hour psychiatric hold might have helped him. And the people he killed.

10. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Involuntary commitments are incredibly difficult to actually get. The process is hard to navigate for someone who is unfamiliar with it; most front line folks who do have experience with it are reticent to actually do it; and we don't have enough psychiatric beds available in our system for the demand. So even if you do get the hold from the court, the person is likely to end up at the emergency room instead of a psych facility and if they're uninsured, the hospital will cut them loose before a bed opens at a psych facility.

At least that has been my experience having pursued about a half-dozen of them or so over the years.

One was a criminal defendant who I remain convinced was on his way to becoming a serial killer. He was obsessed with Jason Voorhees, had killed several small animals near his apartment, masturbated on the hood of his French foreign exchange student neighbors' car, then carved a love letter to them in the door after a failed attempt to break into their apartment. The only crime we could actually prove was the damage to the car doors, and since it was a misdemeanor and his first conviction, it carried no jail time beyond what he served waiting trial. I immediately sought an involuntary commitment, got it and the hospital cut him loose 12 hours later.

The others I have been involved with were helping my priest, who does a lot of work with the homeless and mentally ill and there have been a few times where the concern that one of the people she was ministering to was on the verge of seriously harming themself or another person. Not once has the person been transferred to a psych hospital, and these were all cases of people with violent histories dealing with schizophrenia or some comparably serious illness.

Azrael and Hermes like this.
  11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Look, disabled people only matter when you can use them as a crutch to abortion-jack, which itself only exists to get Christians on board with very unChristian policies.

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Agree with @franticscribe. They're tough to come by, and organize, even if the family is in favor of one.

That said, this story from ten days ago, that the school wanted him held, would seem to indicate some uniformity of opinion on the matter. School Officials Wanted Florida Gunman Committed Long Before a Massacre

Whether or not there was room in the system for him at that time, who knows.

They found room for the brother.

www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/broward/article206105074.html

https://nypost.com/2018/02/17/school-shooters-brother-committed-to-mental-facility/

franticscribe likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.