1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Scarborough said the other day that a lesson he learned as a young lawyer was not to overpromise and under-deliver.
    I think the same applies to writing. The lawyers in the house can vouch whether it applies to their discipline.
    It bears merit but I don't think Avenatti has done either.

He is an endurance racecar driver by hobby, and he is looking way down the road.
    I see the kind of manager who is thinking about what he's going to do in the seventh and eighth while his bumbling competition fucks up the fifth and sixth.
    I think the polygraph was nothing more than a ploy to get the idiot and his Igor to start running their mouths so he could get them to step in the dogshit and then make the next move.

2. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

I'm looking forward to tomorrow's Twitterstorm already. A Cheeto-Coulter flame war would be fun.

3. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

I can't tell if Avenatti is that good or if he's the equivalent of South Carolina playing Furman or The Citadel.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I guess I just don't see what a "next move" would look like for either side. Stormy keeps the money and the story fades away. I think most people figure it happened, there doesn't seem to be much damage done to Trump. If anything, the next moves would be figuring if Trump interfered with the casting process of "The Apprentice." Unless the point is to "break the NDAs" allowing all women and men to come forward without fear of financial penalty.

5. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

If I'm Avenatti I subpoena all internal records for The Apprentice and see what's really there.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

No, he's provoking the Trump side to take aggressive actions that'll allow him to respond with discovery and subpoenas. Also, there are plenty of rumors out there that Daniels made sexually explicit statements about Trump CBS left on the cutting room floor. In any litigation, that's evidence.

7. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

No, he did not. That said, they released a picture of Daniels in the chair with straps on. I don't know that anyone said that it was a picture made while she was being questioned. He's right as far as it goes - no galvanic skin reading, no BP cuff... but I really don't think that proves anything one way or the other. Neither does a polygraph in general, inadmissible anyhow.

8. Neutral Corner

I think that Avenatti keeps the drip drip drip of stories going. It also depends on what they give him to work with... does Trump get pissy and start to tweet? What other pressure on this front comes from the other women? Does Trump's lawyer say or do something dumb? He said that Sixty Minutes used about twenty minutes of a two hour interview. Was it nothing much, or was there stuff in it that CBS wasn't willing to broadcast?

This guy is shrewd. I expect him to prod the story periodically and to take full advantage of anything else that helps.

9. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

But where does Avenatti get his payday? Surely he is leaving a lot of billable hours on the table every time he appears on a talk show.

11. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Yeah, but he's having a blast. And it's great exposure.

12. Neutral Corner

Can you think of another way that he could have advertised what a sharp lawyer he is to the whole damn country more effectively? If he does not make a penny, and I imagine he will, he can still write a book to cash in, and at this point he has something approaching the publicity level that O.J.'s attorney's got.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.