1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Well, depending on if you can believe the press or not (I'm waiting for our in-house media critic, @YankeeFan, to provide the official ruling) Mrs. Trump appeared at an event, although I was wrong in assuming it would be in public.

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

If he pardons himself he must name the crime. The pardon alleviates the punishment. It’s not immunity.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

4. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Maybe she’ll have a red, white and blue back brace on.

5. heyabbott

Trump has the power of a king. Unfettered discretion tombreak the law and then pardon himself. Unfettered discretion to direct others to violate the law and pardon them. He can provide aid and comfort to terrorists and foreign powers and pardon himself.
    The right wing was apoplectic about executive orders from obama, and now they give trump carte Blanche to break any law he chooses.

He could pardon himself for tax evasion too. He could pardon the Koch Brothers for tax evasion upon proper bribes being paid.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Regarding the sources, you wanted that to be some sort of gotcha. It absolutely matters that one source was paranoid bullshit from your side of the aisle. You either didn't bother to read it or hoped nobody else would. I'm not disputing the possibility that the pardon could have happened. I'm saying you just slapped in a couple of sources with Clinton mentioned in them as if that somehow justified the talk about Trump pardoning himself.

I haven't seen you condemn the idea of Trump doing so. Is that what you are saying now? That it would be wrong for him to do it?

Regarding the Newsweek thing, it took you this long to come up with that lame, bullshit response? At least you finally answered one of your recent failures, but of course you didn't do so honestly. You made up a motive for Newsweek, one that doesn't fit what two journalists told you about it. They were quoting the word used by an official source. It was absolutely the right way to write that headline. Clearly, you didn't know the legitimate reason why the quotation marks were used in that headline and now you're just doubling down because you can't concede even such a small point.

Are you going to keep ducking your mistake on the kneeling thread? Or are we going to get another bullshit reply from you on that one, too. I say it is one of those two because we clearly can't expect honesty from you.

7. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Trump can do the impossible. Make me like the Eagles.

8. heyabbott

If he pardons himself for a crime, say ordering a chemical weapons attack on Chechen separatists without congressional authorization. Can congress use the violation of law as the grounds for impeachment? If so, he lacks the power to pardon himself since he doesn’t have the power to pardon impeachment, because a pardon for underlying offense is de facto pardon for impeachment.

9. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
  10. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

This has nothing to do with the Anthem and everything to do with Trump not wanting Melania or Ivanka anywhere near Nick Foles and his...accessories.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  11. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Well, that seems like a big deal. Sing, Paulie.

12. melock

melock Well-Known Member

He came onto the campaign late and was only there a short time so no big deal. No collusion!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.