1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Even Lichtenstein could have figured out a way to win a Cup in the past quarter-century.

HanSenSE likes this.
  2. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Stopping going to DMB concerts. He’s the worst.

Try Tyler Childers. In the Isbell/Simpson vein.

FileNotFound likes this.
  3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

For these conversations, trade means goods produced in one country that get exported to another country. As I said, though, supply chains are global, and they don’t measure this accurately. Your iPhone or your TV or your car may have parts that originated in many countries. But if the iPhone was assembled in China, they count it as a Chinese import. ... and the idiot in the White House turns it into a narrative of the Chinese ripping us off. Even though consumer demand for those phones demonstrates that people make the choice to trade their dollars for them. We don’t need some overgrown blow hard to manage those kinds of decisions for everyone. It will make things more expensive and decrease choices.

And those balance of trade numbers only measure manufactured goods and other physical goods and commodities. The U.S. can’t compete in manufacturing because it got too wealthy. Our workers won’t work cheap enough to give us all the cheap stuff we want to gobble up. What the U.S. does still export to the rest of the world are services. In some area, such as finance, we export a huge amount. Higher education is another thing we sell to the rest of the world. Those things don’t get measured in the balance of trade numbers, though. Add them, and it lessens the deficits.

Again, though, trade deficits in and of themselves are not a bad thing. And it doesn’t amount to us getting “ripped off.” We get stuff for our dollars. If you want to change that balance of trade dynamic, the most destructive way is to appoint a dictator to impose tariffs, or taxes or regulations. To change, Americans need to forgo consumption and save instead. Saving creates investment. But our savings rate has dropped to next to nothing. We not only crave more and more toys, and collectively made the decision to get fatter and happier, we are largely consuming more and more on credit, not by producing things we can then sell to pay for the relatively wealthy lifestyle.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
    HanSenSE, Vombatus and dirtybird like this.
  4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I've heard Childers on a NPR Tiny Desk Concert. He is good. I've been listening to a lot of Ray LaMontagne lately too.

(And DMB isn't the worst. And even if they are - well, I've been going to their shows since the early 90s. Probably won't stop. Makes me feel young - until I spend three hours standing on a concrete floor in the pit.)

I Should Coco and QYFW like this.
  5. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

I'm not even sure what the Trump end game is. Should all trade everywhere be exactly equal? Every country imports exactly what the export?

Or is this a, "Look - we're the United States and as long as trade lands in our favor, that's what matters most" thing?

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Trade doesn’t land in anyone’s favor. ... unless you are being forced to accept things you don’t want. When you go to the store and trade some dollars for some milk, you don’t see it as an exchange that landed in the store’s favor. You see it as buying milk. The rhetoric Trump is using appeals to ignorance. People who want a villain we need to fight. But this is mercantilism. It’s archaic. And it is frustrating, because Adam Smith, David Ricardo and others spelled this out with reason in the 1700s! And it is immutable.

7. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

The GOP ceded policy control to talk radio, which prefers to govern by Hot Take.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  8. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

They ceded control to Democrat Peter Navarro.

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Someone in the NRA had the kavorka.

Seems to be a day of Michael Richards references.

11. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

SUCH PATRIOTS

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

The leadership of the NRA declares allegiance to gun manufacturers not nations.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.