1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Jackson is actually a pretty good comp for Trump. Both were populists who ushered in sea changes and both were considered rubes by the other side.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

3. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

So, who are we forcibly relocating this time?

Webster and SnarkShark like this.
  4. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

For all his supposed oratorical gifts, I can't remember a damn thing Obama said in either of his inaugural addresses. I hate Trump, but I've grown weary of people laughing and pointing at every goddamn thing associated with him and the people who support him. I have a woman at work who literally sits here and will rattle off the latest quip from Andy Borowitz -- every day. It's just white noise after a while. Part of why I deactivated my Facebook and shut down my twitter. If I need to know something, I'll hear about it from all the bleating. But following the every twist and turn of Trump is going to drive a lot of people to early graves. But him first, hopefully

5. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

I do not believe Trump will govern as a populist.

6. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

This is pretty great:

7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Um, except that Jackson was considered a military mastermind, and he also built a business from scratch.

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Top of my head, I definitely recall him citing the saying about it being time to put away childish things, and perhaps calling for shared sacrifice to get through the tough economic times ahead. I feel like he caught some amount of heat for not being uplifting enough, but instead talking a lot about how things were going to be rough for a while.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I've said this throughout the campaign, and I think it's a big reason that actual stories that should stick to him don't. When Twitter erupts when he calls Obama "the founder of ISIS," clearly meant figuratively, then no one ends up listening when they actually should be.

It's odd how scandal sticks to some politicians and not others. I have little doubt that if Trump was caught tonight sexting young women Anthony Wiener-style, it would be a story for about 24 hours and then go away. One thing he does is just ride it out until it goes away. I don't think a lot of politicians have the patience to do that once the heat is on.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

And, Andrew Jackson, by the time he became president, had a slack jaw and tended to drool out of the side of his mouth.

So there's that.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Man, there are a lot of empty spots along that parade route.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Well, Dumpf is certainly considered a military genius.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.