1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Damn. I forgot to cull together my well regulated militia.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Trump’s hotline is going well.

3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

4. Neutral Corner

I wish we saw more of this.

5. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Patriotism, the last refuge of a scoundrel allied with a President of the United States who called Neo Nazis "very fine people".

6. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

"I'm sorry, your honor, but these charges are a witch hunt by a rogue agency that has violated the rights of my client at every turn. I ask, instead, that you lock up the FBI director for his illegal acts and you let my innocent client free immediately."

FBI: Man threatened Fourth of July attack at parade in Cleveland

7. Neutral Corner

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I'm not sure how or why this has become a big liberal talking point in the last couple of days, but being civil has nothing to do with being politically correct.

Political correctness is a situation in which folks go along with a position, because to disagree is not politically or socially acceptable. The language gets changed, so that what used to be illegal aliens become undocumented immigrants, and then just plain immigrants, indistinguishable from those who have legally immigrated.

Pointing out, and criticizing political correctness can be done civilly.

Let's take a look at this tweet. It's almost like you have to celebrate this, or you are some kind of hateful homophobe, but aren't there some things here to be concerned by? Does political correctness demand that we ignore these concerns?

9. Neutral Corner

You could debate my tweet, or find a tweet that counters it intelligently. Instead, you trot out the most extreme and idiotic shit possible and try to posit that it has anything to do with the point I was making.

I've enjoyed wrangling with you, YF, but sometimes you go completely over the top into dickishness.

cyclingwriter2 likes this.
  10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

There are some things here to be concerned by, yes. I don't think the tweet suggests that, if you have concerns, you're automatically homophobic. I don't like 10-year-olds parroting things adults would say about a culture any more than I like 10 year olds doing football rope drills on a beach. (Which, incidentally, I did see a few weeks ago.)

Political correctness and civility are different things according to conservatives.

According to liberals, one can be uncivil merely by disagreeing, because to disagree is to deny a person's identity, and to do that could be psychically damaging.

11. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

What are the things you are concerned about in the tweet? please be specific.

OscarMadison likes this.
  12. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Yes, the raising of a child you will almost assuredly never meet, who appears to be happy and not in an abusive situation, is a situation where you should "ignore those concerns."

OscarMadison and John B. Foster like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.