1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Look, I wouldn't have handled today the way Trump did. I see nothing wrong with criticizing him, and he's getting murdered by republicans, and right wing commentators.

But, seriously, what is the alternative? Tough talk? Don't talk with Russia at all? Additional sanctions?

To what end?

I don't think Russia is going to help us solve the problem in Syria. but Trump thinks that cooling tensions with Russia will help. And, he's doing all he can to try to achieve that.

He'll learn, the same as Bush and Obama did.

But, look, Obama, with John Kerry's help, turned Syria over to Russia. The Russians hacked us during the Obama presidency, and we did nothing about it. Russia annexed Crimea during the Obama administration.

And, four years into his presidency, Obama, and his team mocked Mitt Romney for suggesting that Russia was our number one geopolitical foe. Tell me who's naive now.

But, the press never held Obama to account over this, the same way they never demanded that Obama demand that Xi hand over the indicted Chinese military members indicted for hacking the OPM. No one demanded that Obama not talk with, or meet with Xi.

No one demanded that Obama not engage the Iranians, despite their record of jailing dissidents, and journalists.

It's only because the media cooked up this fake Russian collusion story that we see Trump's actions as "treasonous" and not just misinformed.

2. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

Maybe we should start by not electing unqualified morons to the Presidency?

We can follow that up by getting people like you to re-think partisan media and the fake reality they sell you.

3. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

The “puppet” question has officially been answered. Trump is bought and paid for. What a complete disgrace.

Lots of tough talk from Republicans that will lead to ... nothing. We’ve seen this movie before.

Yes, if a couple of R Senators had any guts, they could stop anything else from happening until after November. Again, they won’t.

Hopefully there will be a major course correction with the election. A chance to start fixing mistakes.

It’s the same game that’s been going on since the Mueller probe was launched. Scandal after scandal after scandal. So much noise that people lose focus on the big picture (or believe Fox and talk radio).

Step back and the big picture is clear. Starts with the tax returns. It’s the money.

Bought and paid for.

4. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

5. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

6. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

At one point, a poster was mad the president looked “weak” to Russia.

Now the “strategy” is to look super weak.

What a time to be alive.

7. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

No. He won’t. He’s a fucking idiot. And the people around him are more than capable of coaching him not to be a dipshit. Yet here we are.

Donny in his element likes this.
  8. Neutral Corner

I absolutely cannot wait until Mueller drops indictments. You're going to get your nose rubbed in this BS forever.

9. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

Three different time zones. But it's like going from Chicago to Denver to New York. Not exactly a crazy jump once you've been there several days.

10. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Where can I put money on “Trump will blow up NATO and lift sanctions after the midterms”?

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Also happened in 1916, 1948, 1960, 1996 and 2000. Nine times, not 10 (I accidentally counted 1976 when I was scrolling through the list and eyeballing the numbers, but Carter got 50.08 percent of the popular vote).
    Also, Clinton's 1992 win was lower in terms of percentage of votes than Trump (43.0 to 45.9), although there was a bonafide third-party candidate in 1992. And Hillary Clinton did not reach 50 percent in 2016, either. She got 48.
    The point stands, though, that a president winning the election with less than 50 percent of the vote is not an uncommon occurrence. It also happened 10 times in the 19th century, including nine of the 11 elections between 1844 and 1892.

12. Neutral Corner

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.