1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

2. Neutral Corner

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Let's see. Twitter profile picture vs. being held withoe.ut bail in a trial that's headed straight for espionage charges. Hard to see how Ms.Butina sees this as a winning move.

4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I was saying 11 mos. relative to the rest of us, not relative to the other servicemen. That's what motivates me to say cutting their benefits is so wrong, wrong for all in the service.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  5. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

6. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Beauty is only skin deep. Ugly goes to the bone.

HC likes this.
  7. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

Gotta stick with what they know, I guess. In this case, it's trolling.

8. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

So let me get this straight (that’s not a gay joke).

Your concern is that three top cyber security officials in a department that is coming off an historically terrible job at cyber security are retiring.

Are you a big fan of Hue Jackson? Do you have a poster of Jason Garrett in your room?

It’s almost as if your concern is not the Russians or the integrity of our elections. It’s almost as if you aren’t truly concerned about anything and just want to knee-jerk complain because Trump.

If you really cared about these important issues, wouldn’t you want better people protecting these things you claim to hold oh so dear?

9. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

The two biggest winners of Trump’s first term are Tom Nichols and Rick Wilson.

10. Neutral Corner

And it damn sure is. Basically, cutting benefits after the person made the bargain and did their time gives me the red ass, whether it's military benefits or a state pension. The person involved served in good faith and gave up X years of their life. Coming in after the fact and saying "Whoopsie, we don't have enough money to fund this, so we're going to have to cut you by 30%" gives me the red ass.

Full disclosure: My wife has 29 years in the Alabama Retirement System, which is actually pretty well funded thanks to David Bronner, who has run that fund for many years. There is a continuing effort across the nation to do away with defined pension plans, mostly because a plan that manages the retirement funds for 300,000 people as in Alabama's fund can squeeze the fund charges down to nothing. The Koch Brothers, among others, are pushing to do away with this sort of plan and replacing them with 401k's. That would mean that they could charge management fees on those 300,000 people individually, and that they could raise the charges to boot since there would be no more collective bargaining.

Google up what happened to Kentucky's state pension plan after this happened to those poor retirees up there.

11. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

He doesn't have enough charisma and wouldn't excite the base, but I have several friends who worked directly for him, both at DOJ and Covington & Burling. They all rave about him in ways you rarely hear about lawyers at that level. It's enough to make me like him.

lakefront and Smallpotatoes like this.
  12. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

"Trump did not brief his own diplomats on the Helsinki meeting. The American Secretary of State, national-security adviser, and Ambassador to Moscow, who attended the lunch after Trump and Putin’s private session, have been publicly silent on the substance of the meetings, leaving it to the Russians, for now, to make claims about what was actually said and done behind closed doors between the two Presidents.

A U.S. Ambassador in Europe, who has extensive experience dealing with Russia, told me that he and other State Department officials who would need to know have received no post-summit briefings, or even talking points about what happened, both of which would be standard practice after such an important encounter. “Nothing,” he told me. “We are completely in the dark. Completely.”"

“No Way to Run a Superpower”: the Trump-Putin Summit and the Death of American Foreign Policy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.