1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

in-credible numbers

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Listening to MSNBC try to talk down these numbers is hysterical.

This is a good number. A really good number.

In 32 quarters, Obama had four at 4% or greater.

This is Trump's first, and as his policies continue to kick in, we'll continue to see more.

It's also the fifth straight at 2.5% or better. Obama never had that.

I know Dems would like to see the economy take a shit, so you can regain power -- and, I shouldn't be surprised, as you rooted for defeat in our military campaigns in Iraq to take down a previous president -- but it's not going to happen.

Confidence is up. Business investment is up. Unemployment is down. Trade deficits are down.

This is good news. Celebrate it.

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

If we don't get revisions (which there usually are as they go along), and we get another quarter, he can certainl crow. The problem is that there were huge inventory builds and there were huge shipments of soybeans going to China, essentially because people were trying to beat the tariffs when the crazy talk was going on. That is a phony, one-time thing. Add to it a one-time sugar high from tax cuts, and it's actually right around where it should be. You could argue that if we weren't in a depressed global economy going on a decade, with that kind of phony stimulus, the sugar high quarter should have been higher. But there is so much other stuff weighing down economic growth, and on top of it, most of the tax cut went to financially engineering higher stock prices via buybacks and dividend raises, not to investment in workers, plants, equipment, training, etc. Those kinds of things would have the potential to create more sustainable growth, but nobody is investing into our debt-ridden economy. There is no reason to believe you'll get paid back for that investment.

At the beginning of the year, the story in markets was "globalized synchronized growth." But most of the world is slowing down, and now it is, "Oh, OK. But the U.S. is growing so well!" China, and particularly Europe, where the countries almost everywhere else are seeing declines -- prints like .2 percent in France today. There is no way the U.S. is growing like gangbusters while the rest of the world is slowing down. It just doesn't work that way in a globalized world. And on top of it, we are very close to the longest expansion in modern history. The world has been flooded with leverage and credit for the last 9 years, and while it didn't produce the huge boom $10.5 trillion of free money should have created, it has held off recession -- and given just a depressed 1, 2 percent growth (averaged out), with some spikes like the ones you pointed out based on fiscal factors. It's all noise. We have been in a prolonged depression. And if history is a guide, we are overdue for a recession. You don't get expansions this long in the age of monetary control of everything. When that next recession comes, it will come into ultra cheap monetary conditions that are already there (so they will have a tougher time creating yet more credit, which is their response) and fiscal irresponsibility that has sent global sovereign debt, as well as private debt, to crazy levels. The U.S. is going to run more than a trillion dollars more of deficit next year with what they did with that tax cut and spending binge, so it's not even like any adults have stepped up yet. The payback for even the crappy growth the world has had since the financial crisis is just not going to be pretty.

The U.S. is not growing at 4 percent on a sustained basis, even if I would love to be wrong about that.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2018
  4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

5. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

No. In these cases, the Trumpist racist may be packing heat and hoping for the plausible opportunity to use it.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

7. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

That would be an odd name for Don Jr's dick.

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Donald Trump Jr’s lies are as repulsive and disgusting as anything ever posted here. Because he comes from a position of power and if not an official of the government someone who receives enormous benefits from the government. Someone who was a member of a traitorous election campaign. A liar, a cheat and and an adulterer.

9. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Apologies if this is a d_b ... just spent five days in Northwest Montana, and the U.S. Senate race ads are EVERYWHERE. It's not even August yet. Must be lots of money pouring into the Tester and Rosendale campaigns.

Vice President Mike Pence rallies Matt Rosendale supporters in Billings

I'll sum up the ads for you.

TESTER: I'm a Montana farmer. Rosendale's from Connecticut and he's a bean counter in the pocket of big business interests. He hates the great outdoors.

ROSENDALE: Tester was born in Montana, but after spending time in the senate, he's become a Massachusetts liberal. Oh, and he doesn't like Trump.

It's going to be a long, long fall for Montanans.

10. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Trumpet

11. vicd

vicd Active Member

Don's Jr.

heyabbott likes this.
  12. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Really? I thought it sounded about right. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.