1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

You forgot the "PERIOD!" at the end.

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I am taking my motherfucking money at 62. Just for this reason.

And how about skipping the COLA for the goddamn SS moochers sucking off the teat now?

I used to think I'd take the money the second I turned 62. But every year you don't take it until age 66, your benefit increases by about 8%. Tough to find that kind of guaranteed return elsewhere. So I'm still working, and watching my monthly benefit grow. By the time I'm 66 it will be about $400-$450 higher per month than if I took it at 62.

Very few receiving SSI are "moochers." A portion of their paycheck was garnished, in some cases against their will, for decades by the Federal government to fund a social program that on the whole has been beneficial to the economic health of the recipient and to the economy in general. And any COLAs are pretty small.

SSI is the third rail, instant death to any politician who advocates taking away benefits.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Eh, support might be too strong a word. But, most folks don't have a problem with auto workers, and steelworkers, and the like negotiating with their employers.

The much bigger issue is public sector workers, who donate to, and organize for, the very politicians they then negotiate with at contract time.

Government workers now make more than their public sector workers in similar jobs, they have better benefits, and they have work rules that give management no flexibility.

Union costs at government run convention centers that drive up costs make people crazy too.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I've honestly lost track of how many times I've seen Mitch McConnell and Paul Ryan on the news out there picketing with the Local.

5. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Lindsey Graham:

"I wasn't there, but if the president of the United States is claiming that 3.5 million people voted illegally, that shakes confidence in our democracy — he needs to disclose why he believes that.

"I would urge the president to knock this off; this is the greatest democracy on Earth, we're the leader of the free world, and people are going to start doubting you as a person if you keep making accusations against our electoral system without justification. This is going to erode his ability to govern this country if he does not stop it."

Lindsey Graham blasts Donald Trump after latest voter fraud claim - CNNPolitics.com

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Were you near a TV or radio or the Internet at any point in 2008?

I believe the GOP's support of private unions was best expressed in the op-ed "Let Detroit Go Bankrupt" by Mitt Romney.

TowelWaver likes this.
  7. Dick Whitman

Kellyanne Conway and Steve Bannon are talking Trump right now to take his phone away.

8. Dick Whitman

That was before the Trump Train came a-chooglin' in.

Choo choo! All aboard!

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Believing alternative facts does not make you alternative smart.

10. Dick Whitman

By outflanking them to the left on their key economic distinction of the last 100 years.

Sweet Jesus, this really is just about laundry.

TowelWaver, Hermes and RickStain like this.
  11. Dick Whitman

This is like when Tom Sawyer convinced all his friends that painting the fence was really fun.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Damn it Obamacare!!! Oh ...

TowelWaver likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.