1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Obama should have fired Comey at sunrise on Nov. 9. But he didn't.

Tarheel316, Stoney and Deskgrunt50 like this.
  2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

You know, I look at this photo, and I noticed Trump isn't wearing a flag pin.

Do we really know if President Trump loves America?

People are talking.

3. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Robert Reich:

I’m placing Aetna, the giant health insurer, on my list of the most irresponsible corporations in America. Why? Because last summer Aetna falsely claimed it was pulling out of all but four of the 15 states where it was participating in Obamacare because it was losing money. That pullout has been used by Republicans to justify repealing the act. Just last week, House Speaker Paul Ryan said Aetna’s action proved how shaky Obamacare’s exchanges are.

Yesterday, a federal judge found Aetna had lied. Federal judge John D. Bates said Aetna pulled out of the exchanges in response to a pending federal antitrust suit to block its proposed $37-billion merger with Humana. Aetna threatened the pullout from states and counties where Aetna was making money but where the Justice Department thought the merger would produce unlawfully low levels of competition. By pulling out, Aetna wanted to make the government’s argument irrelevant. “The evidence provides persuasive support for the conclusion that Aetna withdrew from the on-exchange markets in the 17 complaint counties to improve its litigation position,” Bates wrote.

Aetna executives did everything possible to conceal their decision-making from the court -- discussing the matter on the phone rather than in emails, and by shielding what did get put in writing with the cloak of attorney-client privilege, a practice Bates found came close to “malfeasance.”

Bottom line: Aetna is partially responsible for jeopardizing the health coverage of more than 20 million Americans, so it could achieve a merger that would reduce competition and raise prices for consumers, and thereby improve shareholder returns and raise their executive’s pay.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Fixed.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Given their past, Fox News should be all over this. But since Donald did it, it's cool.

7. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Dumb, arrogant, lying shitheads are angry that the media coverage shows them to be dumb, arrogant, lying shitheads.

Killick and cyclingwriter2 like this.
  8. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

When Starman posts the same YUGE graphic twice:

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

You told us again and again that none of them could have beaten Hillary.

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I still believe that.

Not because they weren't good, qualified candidates, but because they would have wilted under the criticism of the Clinton campaign and the media.

If it was up to me to chose the President, I would still pick Rubio, Cruz, or Bush. But they would have been destroyed. They wouldn't have fought back like Trump would have. They wouldn't have gone on offense like Trump did, and they didn't have the populist appeal that Trump had, which was necessary to win in PA, WI, and MI, let alone OH.

Trump drove up Clinton's negatives in a way they couldn't/wouldn't and he focused on jobs, and white working class voters in a way they couldn't/wouldn't.

11. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

That or the poor bastards who worked and paid into Social Security all their lives think that the bargain they made forty-five or fifty years ago should be honored, not snatched away when they are a year from retiring.

12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Any error by *any* media outlet is *always* smaller and less important than any vaguely similar error made by the President of the United States, anyone speaking on his behalf directly, or anyone who derives his authority from him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.