1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Twitter is a cesspool filled with a level of subhumans rivaled only by a MAGA rally.

2. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

If it's Sunday, it's "Meet the Greens."

3. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Oh please oh please oh pleeeeeeeezzzzze!!!

4. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Better he be on the golf course than giving Putin the content of the nuclear football, again.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Good lord. Some of those comments would make even Trump blush.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Can we talk about Trump not coloring the American flag correctly?

Vombatus, garrow and Neutral Corner like this.
  8. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Incidentally, Ocasio-Cortez is not wrong, of course. One of the more surreal experiences of my life was standing in a Senate elevator while John McCain and Ted Kennedy tried to hash out some kind of healthcare reform. They had many differences. Ted Kennedy moved like a ship. John McCain was built like a whippet. They still loved and respected each other very much.

I later called Ted Kennedy's office to talk to him more about the relationship. This was pre-cellphone, at least for me, and I left my home number. I forgot to tell my then-wife that Ted Kennedy's office might be calling. Instead, Ted Kennedy called. Himself. She answered.

"Hello?"

"Hello. This is, uh, Ted, erm, Kennedy."

She figured it was a prank caller and made a raspberry before I came running into the room like that mum in the BBC clip.

Batman likes this.
  9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

We did a few pages back, but then McCain died.

10. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

SDNY is where the immediate pressure on Trump is coming from. Mueller is working under constraints, such as not releasing indictments during the run up to the midterms. SDNY is not, and it has a whole handful of interesting threads to pull. Cohen and Weisselberg and that line of inquiry are theirs.

"Consider that the prosecutors now have strong evidence that the Trump Organization was part of a conspiracy to commit campaign-finance violations. The repayment of Cohen by the Trump Organization makes the company fair game.

In any ordinary criminal investigation by the Southern District, evidence that a corporation has been used as part of a criminal conspiracy, with the knowledge and involvement of its owner and CFO, would naturally trigger further digging. Was this the first time the Trump Organization ever acted criminally? The Southern District prosecutors are going to want to know the answer. And they’re going to find out.

The upshot is that Trump is vulnerable to further revelations of criminal behavior. Some will no doubt have nothing to do with Russia. Others, such as money laundering, may turn up connections to Russians."

"And if the Southern District wanted to go after Trump before that, it has tools aplenty at its disposal. It doesn’t seem inconceivable that the office could seek to indict the Trump Organization itself and seize assets derived from criminal activity. Or it could use the RICO statute to get a court to deem the organization a criminal enterprise.

Current Department of Justice guidelines say a sitting president can’t be indicted. But they don’t say anything about indicting the president’s business. And the U.S. Supreme Court in the Paula Jones case held that the president may be subject to a civil suit, so any civil proceedings against Trump’s businesses are also within bounds. The Southern District has a civil office, too."

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

The left and the right always meet in their level of vitriol and insanity. In the end whether Steve Bannon advises the president or Al Sharpton does, its all deplorable.

Batman likes this.
  12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Trump being Trump - I figure he would rather instigate his demise than have his fate in someone else's hands to determine the time table, so I would think there is a pretty good chance Sessions is toast. But if he's gone, that moves Rosenstein up correct? Maybe he dumps them both and gets one of his hacks to fire Mueller.
    The biggest impediment to Sessions getting canned is the replacement going through nomination hearings.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.