1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Inspirational quote from TeaPainUSA.

2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

No one is bringing up that alternate reality but him. That was my point.

If he thinks that the country is being run well, he can say that.

4. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

This comment has officially convinced me that this is all an act.

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

We'll see. There's some penny wise, pound foolish thinking in a lot of his policies. His appointment for Ed Sec is an embarrassment.

I think building the wall is remarkably costly and dumb - if you enforced the shit out of corporate/employer penalties, you wouldn't need a wall - BUT...I think a lot of liberal Americans are pretty pollyannish and uninformed about undocumented immigration and refugee resettlement. I have a couple friends - one a teacher - who are freaking out tonight. And I get it. It's understandable. But I tend posit back to them: Well surely some number of undocumented immigrants and refugees would be too much for you, correct? 20 million? 30 million? So are we quibbling over the very idea of ever addressing this issue, or are we quibbling over whether it should affect people we know?

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Let's be clear: Ted Cruz could go work tomorrow at Deadspin and be the biggest, most spectacular, smug snark machine they'd have. Now, he is an asshole, but he may be smarter than every writer at Deadspin combined.

You may want to punch Ted Cruz in the face but he'd out-insult Deadspin in a minute.

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

9. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

10. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

The irony is that the Keystone pipeline is going to backfire on Big Oil. What it will do is create even more of a glut on the world market, prices will crater again, and more drilling rigs in Texas will be parked, all so Canada can sell its oil to Europe. Vlad will be very happy with that.

11. Just the facts ma am

Just the facts ma am Well-Known Member

True.

I don't understand the support for illegal immigration. You have rules or you don't. Who is in favor of having no rules? Other than the restaurants/builders/farmers/landscapers/chicken processors who make increased profits. I understand that the bleeding heart liberals don't wont to break up families but illegal immigration hurts the income of the poor and minorities including previous immigrants.

Also capitalism works well when there is transparency and protections (aka regulations). The problems with capitalism in this country is that in all negotiated transactions, e.g. home buying, home loans, home repairs, car buying, car repairs, home renting, all insurance, hiring, promotions, financial advice, criminal justice, uneducated people are taken advantage of and minorities are presumed to be uneducated making it harder for them to negotiate.
    This happens primarily because of greed, not prejudice.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The most effective means of limiting illegal immigration was the Great Recession. No work, no reason to leave home at considerable risk. If we pursue trade policies that make Mexico poorer, the immigrants will come, wall or no wall. People take considerably more risk to get to, say, Italy from North Africa every day. Desperation finds a way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.