1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

She spent more money on ads in Omaha chasing one EV than she did in Wisconsin. It was a colossal fuck-up.

YankeeFan likes this.
  2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Yeah, but, you're still unapologetic about that "Alabama is going to destroy them" bit from earlier this year ... #stillbitter #notreally

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I'm really confused. I was told that internal polling was super awesome, and that only "tricky lawyers" would try to argue otherwise.

4. RickStain

No you weren't. And repeatedly claiming it is even more tricky lawyer bullshit. You were told the first part but not the second.

5. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

It was a fucking route!

wicked and Cosmo like this.
  6. Dick Whitman

In all seriousness: Why wouldn't it be? This is the second time in two elections that internal polling was absolute shit for the losing side. It doesn't make sense, considering how much they have to lose.

7. RickStain

Maybe you just can't separate polling from likely voter screens being guesswork bullshit?

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

BTExpress post from Aug. 6:

9. Dick Whitman

I tried. Back to "Ignore."

10. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Bill Clinton was a pretty solid president who did his best work when he was forced to the center. In 1980 and 1994, he or his party suffered devastating rejection on election night because he ticked too far left as Governor in 1980 or as President in 1993-94.

He also is smart enough to know how to win Arkansas five times as a governor (admittedly, that was an era was most Arkansans voted Democrat - even conservative people).

There is a certain amount of storytelling and narrative (i.e. bullshit) that goes into campaigning. Trump avoided it by leveraging his celebrity and never doing small events. He never went to a diner and did the photo ops.

Which meant that HRC should have done more of that, especially in the rural Midwest. While she spoke in her strict monotone of why Trump was evil (complete with her assertive "upward joust of her right hand whenever making a point), all she did was, essentially, hand her resume to the hiring manager and say "I deserve this job".

You need a narrative, too. Especially for Democrats. They love that shit.

Bill Clinton had "a place called Hope". Obama had Oprah and his autobiography.

Anyone here ever walk into a job interview for something that's a "big kid job"? Where you're a key person in a newsroom?

You can't just hand them your resume and show them your clips (or, in my case, your video link).

You have to tell a story. Let them dream a little. You have to tell voters how you'll make their lives better. Trump did that -- vaguely. HRC was even less specific.

When peddling narrative/bullshit, I've found the most success with something like...

"We all have roughly the same resume. But this position should be what you don't see on this sheet of paper. Imagine your lead anchor who can actually write, isn't afraid to make phone calls and won't treat your producers and photographers like the hired help? Perhaps an anchor who won't go out all night and risk public embarrassment every Saturday night? Someone who won't grumble on a weekend meet and greet to extend the brand?..."

Do I or will I actually perform better than my competiton? Sometimes but not always. Yet I've always found this approach speaks to the boss to put them at ease. It's almost always resulted in moving further in the interview process and opportunities.

Hillary Clinton just doesn't have that sincere manner when she campaigns. The assertive proclamations, the fake laugh, etc. It just didn't click.

For states like Michigan, Wisconsin and Iowa, where Sanders did well (largely because of their college kids), she needed to worry less about reaching them and more I the middle. People who don't care about LGBT issues (one side or another) as much as economic opportunity.

11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Maybe politicians and their campaigns simply don't ... indeed can't ... know as much as we think they do?

As you rightly note, winning elections is their raison d'etre ... if there's one thing on God's green earth you'd think they'd be good at, it'd be reading the lay of the land politically. And yet unless there's an ass-whipping underway, they don't seem to be able to do it.

So why is it that we project upon Herself (or those like her of myriad ideological stripes) this grand wisdom about so much else?

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

YF seems desperate for the election to be a route, which it simply cannot be when Clinton won the popular vote. he is so desperate that he is making up false claims regarding the counting of votes to back up his claim. It's like crying about officiating in a game your team won. Get it out of your system if you feel the need, but move on already.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.