1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Yay! We need illegal immigration so we have an underclass we can exploit to do day labor, work in slaughterhouses, and pick vegetables.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Duh. I wonder why urban elites, with graduate degrees, and six figure jobs aren't concerned by illegal, cheap labor.

Maybe because they aren't a threat to take their job at the university, but they are available to work as a nanny at a cheap rate.

SpeedTchr and Iron_chet like this.
  3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Nobody knows about it, nobody talks about it, but under Obama, millions of people have been moved out of this country, they've been deported.

4. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

Here's a similar chart from the Cato Institute...

[​IMG]

As you can see, the Obama administration turned away many more people at the border and removed them from the interior than the Bush administration.

I don't want to argue about the larger issues of immigration. I was just responding to the argument that the left was welcoming undocumented immigrants with gusto. I'm sure some there do but Obama - a Democrat, which technically makes something of a liberal - wasn't there at the finish line for them with pom-poms, energy drinks and Green Cards. For the most part, he was pushing them back.... And getting slammed on both sides for his policies.

So if you're a Democrat, why push for expanded deportations in the future? Why stick your neck out? Let the other side fall on that particular grenade.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

These jobs exist. Someone will do them. Not all are dead-enders. The line cooks at just about every restaurant on the East Coast are Hispanic. Can't speak for their immigration status. Some go on to start their own places. The point is, if you wish to make these jobs more desirable to (white) American citizens, you have to make them pay more. The $15 an hour minimum wage might boost the white working class labor supply for shit jobs.

6. Inky_Wretch

7. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

YankeeFan likes this.
  8. Inky_Wretch

Good grief, it's like the White House has turned into a bad SID office.

britwrit likes this.
  9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Interesting that Trump's ban on Muslim travel to the US does not include Saudi Arabia. What nationality were the 9/11 hijackers? I forget.

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

There's a lot to unpack in that post.

First, no, I'm not saying it's OK, nor am I agreeing it's bigotry, nor am I saying bigotry is OK.

Second, I had family for decades who worked in the meatpacking industry. They wanted their jobs. Would folks be willing to work in hotel laundry and cleaning? Of course. Line cooks? Of course. Construction? Of course. Golf course crews? Of course.

Third, wages have been suppressed in a lot of these jobs because undocumented immigrants will take shitty wages and zero benefits and, what's more, they're harder workers. Zero debate there.

Fourth, you're woefully wrong on the "they only live in cities" argument. Oh, man. They're not being flown in to the slaughterhouses in Iowa, I assure you. That's almost an embarrassing statement.

If you want couch the undocumented immigration debate solely in terms of bigotry and xenophobia, you can, but it's an ivory tower conclusion.

SpeedTchr and YankeeFan like this.
  11. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

3. Investigation finds little to no fraud. Trump orders more investigations of voter fraud than there were of Benghazi.

HanSenSE likes this.
  12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

It's accurate that Obama admin removed more undocumented immigrants. It is.

Bush admin kicked can down the road. Most GOP does. Thats the dirty secret - GOP secretly loved it for 15 years - until the legal children of illegal immigrants wanted what's rightfully theirs.

Michael_ Gee likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.