1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

"Look Hillary didn't campaign very well. Therefore: My party is forced to vote for the incessant liar who lacks the skillset, knowledge, and intellectual curiosity to do the job. Your fault!"

2. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

This strikes me as a bit of a facile argument. It's basically an argument to never impeach.
    Also, it seems to ignore history - we didn't have any retaliatory impeachment proceedings after Johnson, Nixon, or Clinton (and yes, I know Nixon resigned before he was impeached, but still seems like a situation where a party could retaliate if they were inclined to). So why assume that now?
    And just because one side refuses to note the faults with him (well not true, actually, there's the Never Trumpers, etc), doesn't mean that the impeachment, per Batman's point, would be just b/c one side found fault with him. It'd be cause there's a litany of legitimate reasons to impeach the guy, that one side is just choosing to ignore them (a party has never impeached it's own president and probably never will).

(tangentially related to impeachment, we should really change the line of succession to not include the speaker/president pro tem - it shouldn't really be possible to change the party in power via impeachment)

3. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

If you were ranking things that cost Hillary votes (either popular or electoral college) her choice of where to campaign would be near the bottom of the list. I just don't think that there's much evidence that it makes a significant impact to electoral outcomes - at least not in races as highly publicized and bankrolled as a presidential election.

4. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

Hillary is just not likeable. ... but a portion of the electorate forgot that before we consider "likeable," we needed to first consider "are they qualified to do the job."

The American people hired an auto mechanic to perform open heart surgery, because the actual heart surgeon was a smarmy and aloof.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I guess he is capable of posting a link to back something up. When there is one available. Otherwise, just make it up.

6. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Big deal. Trump's been wiping his ass with the flag for years.

HanSenSE likes this.
  7. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

It's not really anything new. People have voted for likeable first for a long time. Bill Clinton, W, Obama. I'd watch a ballgame and shoot the shit with all those guys, and I believe that is a significant reason they served six terms between them.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

You claim you didn't vote for Trump. So did you not participate in the process, in which case you should shut up, or did you vote for Clinton? Wasted protest vote on some other candidate?

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

All you need to know about this shamocracy:

garrow and Stoney like this.
  10. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

And she was mean to Bernie!

lakefront likes this.
  11. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

This praise for your boy on the economy is based on faulty assumptions:
    1) That Trump is responsible for the improvements. Things were trending well in the final years of Obama’s term.
    2) That Trump is benefiting everybody. You forget that the GOP’s proposed budget will whack $500 billion from Medicaid. Will that help people?
    3) That the economy is all that matters and that this news is enough to make us forget his failures.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Republicans set the precedent 20 years ago. Lying under oath about one's sex life is impeachable. So why can't more serious crimes be impeachable?

HanSenSE likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.