1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Krugman lost me in the second half of the Obama administration. His columns are lazy and have little actual information in them anymore. It’s sad(!) given how informative some of his stuff used to be.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

3. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

Ragu, he was arguing for it back then because there was a recession, which is a time when it makes the most sense to run a deficit, and because supposed fiscal conservatives were pushing like hell against any sort of stimulus spending. The Keynesian argument is to run up deficits during downturns and pay them off after the recovery. You can disagree with that argument, but by no means is it hypocritical for a Keynesian to argue against the current ballooning of the deficit. Whatever you think, it makes zero sense for the folks who were dead set against deficit spending in 08-09 to be for it now. If the current tax cuts would have gone to the middle/working class back then in addition to the stimulus, the recovery would have been shorter, and the country as a whole would have been better off (compared with using them to juice the economy now).

EDIT: To be clear, I'm not defending Krugman as an entity, just disputing the notion that he is somehow a hypocrite to be pro-deficit in 08 and anti-deficit now.

Slacker likes this.
  4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

He's aged a lot in one year. Obama, GWB - they aged on the face.

Trump actually looks more unhealthy than aging. Bloated, super unhealthy.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Neutral Corner likes this.
  6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I was just about to post that.

Just awesome.

"I think I could beat Trump... because I'm as tough as he is, I'm smarter than he is" said Dimon. "I can't beat the liberal side of the Democratic party."

"And by the way this wealthy New Yorker actually earned his money," Dimon added. "It wasn't a gift from Daddy."

melock likes this.
  7. The Big Ragu

Best part of that is. ... Business leaders have been shitting pickles about saying anything about Trump, lest he tweet about them. Jamie Dimon has never been a shrinking violet, but he has held his tongue, for the most part. But this is proof to me that the tide has shifted. A year ago, no way Dimon jabs at him that way.

BTW, they are both tough guys from Queens.

8. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Blood in the water. Sharks come cruisin'.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Do you think they got that quote about him not beating the Democratic Party wrong?

10. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Small point, but dumb newswriting to say Dimon "added" this quote, and to preface it by writing, "Before he was done, Dimon took another swipe at Trump."

Especially when you then run the full transcript, which shows that Dimon said that at the top of his remarks. Sloppy work.

Fred siegle likes this.
  11. The Big Ragu

Not at all. He's a democrat. Has talked a lot in the past about how he hangs on with them, even though he doesn't like what the Bernie Sanders, Elizabeth Warrens have been doing to his party.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  12. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

You know how I know I was a sportswriter too long? I read that entire post and read it as Jamie Dixon every time.

Fred siegle likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.