1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

Even as someone whose political views are probably generally in line with the Times, it's abundently clear to me that, intentional or not, it's news coverage is very biased. Not necessarily poltically biased, but definitely reflecting the views of urban elites who are reflexively anti-corporation and pro-government--so-long as their guys and gals are the ones in charge. They're the type of people who worry about inequality--but think an income of $250,000 (conveniently one that is within reach of a two-professional household) is "middle class," and it's only the "rich" people who make more than that who are making out like bandits. (Or they're the food selfie and travel crowd, as Dick likes to say.)

I tell people consistently the WSJ is a much better read if you want the "news"--even if you don't agree with its op-ed page.

I worry the 2020 report will only make this worse, as I pointed out in the other thread, and am copying here.

2. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Most of Trump's base only has about 15 years too. They don't give a shit about anything beyond, "don't touch my Medicare or my social security."

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Maybe he was headed to the locker room!

I must say, I appreciate a guy from Philadelphia and Boston referring to Yankee Stadium as simply the Stadium.

I'm surprised he left early though. He's usually either in box, or with Bill O right behind home plate, and isn't known for leaving early.

When I was involved in putting on ticker tape parades following Yankee wins, Trump was included on Steinbrenber's list of VIP's to ride through the parade in an open air double decker bus with him.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

There's only one, "The Stadium," and Michael Jordan played his home games there.

I Should Coco, JakeandElwood and QYFW like this.
  5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

LOL. No way.

(Though I do get a kick out of the parking lot labeled "Stadium Parking" outside the United Center.)

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

He was leaving, got out at the press exit floor. Did he have some other function to attend? That's a possible explanation. Maybe he had an early tee time next morning.

7. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Cute story, but likely made up.

8. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

That statement is so damn stupid. Then why'd he schedule the meeting in the first place? He already knew Mexico's position on his dumb wall, they'd made that quite clear. Or did he actually think Nieto would come into that meeting saying "why, yes, Mr. Trump, my impoverished nation would love to pay for your colossally expensive anti-Mexican project..."

Less than a week in and the Trump presidency already looks like a bigger clown show than I feared. God help us all when he has to handle a genuine national crisis.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
  9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

10. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

It's my great hope that that very issue splits Trump from Congress and creates a rift and an opening for 2018. It's a long shot, but it's all the Dems have. Paul Ryan isn't playing the part of groveling toadie right now just to stay in good graces. He's waiting for his opportunity to get his golden goose — entitlement reform (by which I mean entitlement detonation) while Trump is off arguing with the press over the size of his dick.

The problem from the left's perspective is that the elderly don't care if they blow up entitlements, as long as there's a age-based detonator attached. But I have a sliver of hope that the issue undoes Trump before he has a chance to endear himself to the electorate and the press. (The press is going to get lazy and start eating up his carnival act really soon. They'll play the part of the foil for clicks and the attention. The fourth estate will soon be playing the part of Alan Colmes in this political TV show our nation has become.)

I Should Coco likes this.
  11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

He's moving to defund NPR and PBS, but supporting infowars. Makes about sense.

12. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

I don't know, they might be wavering on paying for it...

Stoney likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.