1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Right? Next thing you know he'll be praising someone truly evil. Like Putin.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I know I sound hyperbolic, but the point is that these voters care about jobs and their families. They aren't stirred by this. They don't have time to be. To them, a president is finally putting them first. The ACLU will not win this PR standoff.

3. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

I know a greater-than-zero number of people who fit into this category. Most of them have never left the United States. They have no idea what it's like to go through Customs and think that pretty much just anybody can walk off a plane and wind up among the rest of us. Under the best circumstances, immigration is not easy.

Donny in his element likes this.
  4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

If Dems are smart they'll go after the 16- and 17-year-olds to have them read to vote on 11/6/18.

5. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

You know people who wouldn't care if immigrants were gunned down like that? Might want to defriend them. Their FB memes must be annoying.

6. Dick Whitman

They would think that Trump must have had good reason to suspect they were terrorists.

7. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

This EO was handled terribly by the amateurs in the WH, but the refugee crisis is Obama's mess.

8. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Did you miss your run today?

9. Dick Whitman

Which limp-wristed liberal said that Trump could shoot someone in the middle of Fifth Avenue and not lose any support?

10. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Bannon being part of the NS team is a bigger issue, but that's not easy to "spontaneously" protest, so it will be mostly ignored.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I think Dick is wrong. People may hold hateful views, but they don't like to think of themselves as hateful. Now they're seeing actual human suffering and appealing victims on TV, which tries to make all victims of all bad things look appealing. The bulk of Trump's supporters voted for him because he was the Republican nominee and they're Republicans. A non-trivial number of them didn't sign up for this at all. Of course many also did and revel in their fear and hatred of the Other, but he's not starting with a majority of the public behind him. Any defections weaken what is not a strong position with the electorate.
    Q, I agree that Bannon's NSC presence is a very big deal, but the President issuing what looks to be like a needlessly cruel and unconstitutional order in his first week in office is also a very big deal.

12. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Hyperbolic isn't even close. Equating people who are focused on jobs and families with being OK with the nonsense you described is arguably the worst post you've ever made. It drips with arrogance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.