1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Some of the folks who voted for him are mortified. They're the Pollyanna Christians who voted for him based on what he says he'll do with abortion.

Some of the folks won't know what to think of this because they've been trained, over 25 years, to think most media lies on purpose.

Some of the folks are as you describe.

Some of the folks - and this is the scary group to me - are just going along for the ride, knowing the first week was bad but kind of loving it, because fuck America and everyone in it. Fuck it.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

IMO the real damage to Trump in this is not that his action was hateful, it was that created and implemented via visible clusterfuck. One of the most enduring myths of American politics is the idea government should be run like a business. Trump's status as a businessman who could fix the economy through know-how was one of his main selling points. Screwups hurt that image.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I will add this: Every liberal who posted memes saying things like, "If you aren't safe to fly then you aren't safe to own a gun" helped contribute to the atmosphere that made this seem acceptable. You - and Hillary Clinton is among you - also thought it was OK to strip fer'ners of their rights.

YankeeFan likes this.
  4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

It would have made a lot more sense to just issue no new visas. Maybe even make folks with multiple entry visas apply for a new one. Let Green Card holders in.

That they didn't do this makes me think they wanted it to be somewhat of a shit show.

Not sure if this was to show there was a new sheriff in town, or because they thought the backlash to it would help them politically.

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Yep. It's exactly the same thing. Completely reasonable equivalence

7. YankeeFan

The number of folks who will delete Uber will be very small.

SnarkShark likes this.
  8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

How else are they going to get to the theater district?

YankeeFan likes this.
  9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Meanwhile ...

10. YankeeFan

BTW, while there may have been a few exceptions, it looks like almost everyone who had a green card got in.

And, the reason folks were DETAINED FOR 7 HOURS!!!! was because they were subjected to secondary screening, and the staff was overwhelmed. Would suck to be in such a position, but they weren't "detained". It just took longer than usual to get through.

11. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Reince Priebus is a mess on MTP. Contradicting himself on whether green card holders are affected.

12. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

That should trouble you deeply, if true. It troubles me.

That's Soviet Union shit. And I don't write that lightly.

TowelWaver likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.