1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Problems at Patch.com

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Drip, Jan 19, 2011.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Not sure if it was on this thread or the AOL Fanhouse thread that the Patch.com job was posted in full, but they are looking for a journalist in Silicon Valley who, for $40,000 a year (and an iPhone!), will work 6-7 days and what appears from the listing to be about 70 hours a week.

Yes, every journalist should be rejoicing that so many great opportunities exist.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think anyone has expressed glee over the possible demise of Patch. I think we're just expressing skepticism that it can survive--skepticism that is warranted given the "leadership" of the company as well as the history of journalistic salvation on the Internet. It's been 15 years now. Hasn't happened yet.

And LTL makes a great point. If Patch really is seeking around-the-clock availability and multiple stories per day for $40K and an iPhone, then it really is just the latest online company seeking to further devalue what we do, all under the guise of saving journalism/leading us into a gloriously perfect future.

3. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

How did Patch cover the Steelers' SB loss?

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Because we enjoy being right, and mentally lording it over the true believers who tell us we're wrong because they got lots of liquor at the big party.

5. lono

lono Active Member

A giant corporation seeking to further devalue what we do? Unpossible!

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

It's funny that so many people are insulted by the $40k. I take the fact that they are willing to pay so much as proof that they don't know what they are doing. Journalists will take a lot less, why throw away the money?

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

$40K for 60 hours a week (a very generous estimate, that) and 15 bylines (also a very generous estimate) sounds like proof to me they do know what they're doing.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Who here said it would succeed. I just said people are jumping the gun and posting incorrect information. Try reading more carefully next time, stat boy.

9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

They're not hiring people for $40K to work in, oh, Wheeling. They're hiring people for $40K to work (and live) in expensive suburban settings. Unless they're still in mom/dad's basement or garage, it ain't working.

Of course, I used to work 60 hours a week for $23K in a ritzy suburb and thought my career was going places. So yeah ...

10. outofplace

Hmmm. No job. Low-paying job. Which do you think is better?

As I said before, I wouldn't leave a job at an established paper for Patch, but there are plenty of people out there who lost their jobs in the business or who can't find another way to get started.

BYH, it sure reads like glee to me. I could be wrong, but I highly doubt it.

Edit: Oh goodie. The sad little Bears fan is stalking me across multiple boards now.

11. outofplace

wicked, let's take Western PA as an example. How many dailies in the Pittsburgh area pay $40,000 a year as a starting salary? From what I've seen, most of the editors on the Patch sites there are young kids, probably just getting started.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

IF Patch fails, the best thing to come of it is it will send plenty of idealistic 23-year-olds screaming into another profession, one whose expiration date has not yet been reached.

OOP, I think you're wrong here. Ninety-eight pct of this board, at least, has lost a job in this rotten business or has been run off and forced to take some pride in beating the Grim Reaper to the punch. Nobody roots for a journalistic venture to fail, even one run by a reprehensible slug like Armstrong. Because we know if the shit hits the fan, he'll be the one who doesn't even need to wash up afterward.

Draft saved Draft deleted