1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Problems at Patch.com

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Drip, Jan 19, 2011.

1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I wasn't talking about you. Wasn't there a thread where one of the workers there said we were all haters and everything was fine because there was a big drinkin' party in New York?

What's the point of the internet if we can't argue with people like that to the point that we have a rooting interest in their major life failures so that we can be right?

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

What inaccurate info is being posted? Stories per week or hours? There have been several stories of the workload the local editors have.

Is this story inaccurate?

http://www.businessinsider.com/aols-patch-revenue-model-makes-no-sense-2010-5

BTW, here's the story about the open door at the big meeting in NYC. That SPJ member lasted a whole five posts.

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/posts/2970344/

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I have already pointed out inaccuracies. Scroll up if you want to see them. Most were about workload requirements.

I honestly don't know enough about the revenue stream or the long-term plan to know if the article you posted is accurate or not. Neither do you, nor do any of the other posters on this thread, which was my point.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

BYH, you and I are reading the posts on this thread very differently, then. Maybe it is just people wanting Armstrong to fail and forgetting that a bunch of people will be out of work if he does.

5. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

People aren't impressed by Armstrong, and think he will fail. Not sure either of these things can be disputed.

No one wants any more mass job losses.

6. YNWA

YNWA New Member

as usual, many of you are applying a myopic view to Patch.com. I don't work for patch, but it seems obvious that they are focusing more on what they think the community's standards and interests are, rather than the professional standards that traditional media try to reach.
    They are targeting suburban areas that metro newspapers and TV stations don't cover. Imagine how many businesses there are in those areas who need a forum for their advertising at reasonable rates. They certainly can't afford to pay for an ad on TV or in the paper, which have basically changed their business models to run ads only from national chains or massage parlors.
    While patch does have issues, it seems that if it can survive the short-term and get some word-of-mouth and marketing going, it has a decent long-term future.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Clearly you haven't watched television, listened to the radio, or read a newspaper in quite awhile.

8. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

As one of the freelancers for Patch who was recently told the freelance budgets were getting cut severely, it makes me and my wife nervous.
    Count me as one rooting for Patch to succeed, at least until September when I can find something more stable than a career in sports journalism.

9. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

Interesting that you had been registered on this site a whole 10 minutes -- actually less -- before making this assumingly non-biased remark.

10. YNWA

YNWA New Member

Interesting that you can't fathom that some of us read and chuckle rather than register and post.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Just heard interesting story about Armstrong on Boomer / Carton show.

Apparently Armstrong made a big show of bidding on one of live auction items at last year's Cystic Fibrosis Foundation dinner.

Esiason did not say what item was but said that Armstrong has already used and has never ponied up the money despite repeated calls and reminders for past year.

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I read, chuckle, AND post. Who has two thumbs and multitasks? THIS guy.

Draft saved Draft deleted