1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Problems at Patch.com

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Drip, Jan 19, 2011.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Neither are most of the other posts on this thread, so why should his be any different?

2. Cigar56

Cigar56 Member

Ariana Huffington personally walks away with $100 million cash in AOL deal:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/02/07/AR2011020706023.html

3. outofplace

I know some areas have weekend editors, so this set-up isn't the same everywhere.

4. Cigar56

Cigar56 Member

Wonder if she'll start paying freelancers now?

5. Shifty Squid

Shifty Squid Member

I would assume so as well. And yes, as oop points out, the arrangement could very well be different in different states/areas.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

LOL.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

It's not a reasonable rate if no one sees it. Do the numbers justify an ad?

I'd also love to know what kind of business you think is a potential advertiser for Patch. Many small businesses aren't direct to consumer or retail oriented, so mass marketing isn't appropriate.

I own a small business, but I would never advertise in a traditional newspaper or with something like Patch. It's too broad -- even though it's very local.

And, even for retail establishments, I would recommend they work the social networking sites like facebook and twitter and use tools like groupon and constant contact before I'd suggest newspaper advertising or Patch.

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Damn if that doesn't prove Brian Cook's point about AOL/shiny objects, nothing does.

AOL's main revenue stream is selling dial-up consumers access to e-mail. That might not technically be fraud, but it sure is slimy.

9. JStar22

JStar22 New Member

I didn't read the whole thread, but local editors getting paid $40,000 - $50,000 a year? That can't be the average.

I made it through a 2nd round of interviews with Patch for a job in Massachusetts. The salary STARTED at $24,000.

10. YNWA

YNWA New Member

TSP, you tell me what facts are wrong and how you know they are wrong and let's discuss. So far, all you've done is deny.

And Yankee fan, how do you know no one sees the patch sites?

11. outofplace

I wonder how long I'll have to wait for TSP and others to comment about you signing up to join in the conversation. I'm guessing a loooooong time.

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I see/hear commercials/ads for small businesses all the time on cable/local radio/newspapers. Just saw a local car dealer's ad during the Super Bowl.

Draft saved Draft deleted