1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Problems at Patch.com

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Drip, Jan 19, 2011.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Not even close to what I said. I'm just pointing out the hypocrisy of taking digs at new posters who come in supporting Patch, but ignoring that somebody did the same on the opposite side.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I call you an idiot all the time, and you're about to join the Top 10 in posting. So I'm far from a hypocrite.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Don't hurt your back moving those goalposts.

4. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

It sounds like the problem you present is not necessarily fatal and it's only fatal if Patch tries to sell ads the traditional way. I'm under the impression that the key to success online is identifying, and marketing, to niches. In other words, instead of expensive ads that target general audiences, you sell niche ads that target the readers of specific content and you sell it for less than the broader ads you would normally sell. You try to sell more ads and sell the advertisers on their product reaching the niche they want to reach.

5. anon211

anon211 New Member

What is amazing to me is that you all are STILL talking about Patch - and mocking me - three weeks later.

You have too much time on your hands.

Yes, freelance budgets have been cut a bit, but I just got a big raise and a bonus. And I have no problem at all living in an affluent suburb because I have lived here for years and bought before the housing market skyrocketed. Also, we're a two income family.

Geez, give it a rest already.

6. geddymurphy

geddymurphy Member

You'd cough up your skull if you knew what people who work for DC political mags make. Great jobs for the independently wealthy.

And what's the starting pay at USA TODAY these days? Has it passed $40K for someone with experience?

In any case -- found one instance in which the major metro is being accused of ripping and reading from Patch:
    http://insidecharmcity.com/2011/02/08/baltimore-sun-rips-off-patch-com-story-on-ko-public-affairs-astroturfing/

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

But, nothing about Patch is niche.

Cigar Aficionado is niche. Wine Spectator is niche. Specialty Coffee is niche. The Hill & Roll Call are niche.

Patch aims at small, local audiences, but within each town, they aim at the entire town. That's a small, but broad audience.

If I were to advertise my business online, I'd go with something like Chicago.eater.com or one of any number of sites dedicated to food and foodies that are also popular with chefs & restauranteurs.

I would never buy on something like Patch. Even at their "reasonable rates", I'd be paying for too many people who weren't potential customers.

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I have nothing against Patch. There are at least two suburban Cleveland Patch sites. Neither burb is affluent. They are filled with working class people, many of whom rent their homes. Whoever can make a go at one of them, good for you.

However, I don't see any ads on the Cleveland Patch sites.

9. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

I have no problem with Patch and my community was in need of some local reporting, features, whatever (our paper pretty much cut back on some community reporting and mine got whacked). Looks like some people have certainly taken to it. However, like the Cleveland Patch sites, I haven't seen any ads yet. Maybe it will take time to show advertisers they have an audience ... but I don't see some soon, have to take it as a bad sign for sure.

10. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

To explain what little I know of the ad situation (they are pretty serious about the separation between sales and editorial, at least where I am): They basically want to build up to a good audience or critical mass before trying to sell in many places. For example, my region, which has about 17 sites, has three sales reps and a guy above them. They've mostly focused on two sites for now, one of which has plenty of display ads.

11. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

It was $35K and a new laptop for me when I interviewed for a local Patch job. I actually came pretty close to getting the gig, but it just fell apart at the end.

Fortunately for me, I had also interviewed for my current job at the same time and was offered the job when I got the news that Patch wasn't going to hire me. Let's just say I'm glad I am where I am and I'm not in this shithouse of a business.

12. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

I don't know much about Patch and don't have it in my market. But people who I know who have written for Patch have been asked to do things targeting specific niches (in entertainment, in the cases I know of). So I admit I only have that to go on.

Draft saved Draft deleted