1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Problems at Patch.com

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Drip, Jan 19, 2011.

1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

You get used to it, it's not so bad.

2. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

[​IMG]

The world needs ditch diggers too.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

Noticed my wife looking at a patch site today. When I asked about it, she said "Moms love it."

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

This post really had some promise, but then you went and put Patch in there.

5. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

I like to check the patch from my hometown because my high school's basketball team is very good. The writing is appalling though.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

They do a lot of parenting content.

Oh, by the way. I heard there was an all-hands call today. The sky is falling!

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

How many all-hands conference calls are there in a month?

8. geddymurphy

geddymurphy Member

Perhaps I wasn't fully explicit -- the point here is that it's not yet a content mill, so why root for it to fail on the off chance that it might become one?

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

It's not about rooting for it to fail.

We all saw how traumatic it was when the Seattle Post-Intelligencer and the Rocky Mountain News went out of business.

And, we saw how shocked Moddy and others were when Fanhouse got blown up.

Path now employs hundreds of journalists. It would be a shame if three, six, or twelve months from now we had posters here expressing shock that Patch was closing down and putting then out of work.

I think we just want some folks to open up their eyes to reality. A (free) site with no advertising isn't going to be around for very long.

10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Because maybe when it fails just like all the other similar ventures, the legions of people in the business who are convinced that they can produce local news from professional journalists on online ad revenue alone will finally see the light and we, as an industry, can stop wasting time and venture capital on it.

11. nmsports

nmsports Member

"we, as an industry, can stop wasting time and venture capital on it."

Right, because the newspaper industry is so healthy right now and its future is positively outstanding.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I think they have one a week.

Draft saved Draft deleted