1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Problems at Patch.com

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Drip, Jan 19, 2011.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

When did I say I had any strong conclusions to make? I didn't.

I just said the naysayers are relying far too heavily on their own guesswork.

2. nmsports

nmsports Member

"good writing skills" is a commodity that is extremely undervalued in today's society. The problem is anybody with a computer and a word processing program thinks it's easy to do our job. Look at all the crap polluting the web.

3. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

I was looking at some comments on one of the Help threads in Facebook today and I seriously could not understand what these people were trying to say. They were not really writing in English, although I'm sure they thought they were.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

100%. And, too many people who are in the position to hire aren't good enough writers to recognize or appreciate those who are.

5. geddymurphy

geddymurphy Member

A "word processing program"? Really?

I get your point, but I'm worried that you're unintentionally demonstrating how far behind the times we can fall in this business.

6. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

[blue]I'm going to write you an angry letter in WordPerfect for such a smarmy response![/blue]

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

You are going to have a Western Union telegram in three to five business days, buster!

8. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

But there is a lot of good writing happening as well. And much of it is not by journalists.

Good writing is a valuable skill. It is not an exclusive one.

9. Tucsondriver

Tucsondriver Member

At first I thought this was the Onion...

http://sanbruno.patch.com/articles/portola-elementarys-2nd-and-3rd-grade-basketball-team

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Why did you have to go and post that?

"They are very good at sharing the ball"

"Actually, we don't keep score."

Kill me now.

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

LOL Monte Ellis.

12. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

"Um, well, my inspiration is my favorite player, Monte Ellis. He plays on the Warriors and he's cool." Priceless.

Draft saved Draft deleted