1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Problems at Patch.com

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Drip, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

How about a cop who didn't want his first name in the paper after his PD named him cop of the year, and sent the paper a picture? Do you leave his name out too?

2. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

I was taking photos at my sister in law's BBQ this summer (at her request). Apparently, some dude in her family is a cop and he got super paranoid about my taking pictures because "his kids were there" and "he didn't want them on Facebook" because, I guess, he was scared they were going to get diddled.

It was retarded then and it's retarded now. If you think a simple picture is going to get your kids molested, you're an idiot. Period. End of story.

I understand parents being apprehensive about having their kids image out there everywhere but trying to pass it off as some sort of safety measure is retarded and should be treated as such.

3. inthesuburbs

inthesuburbs Member

First off, you can drop "retarded" from your vocabulary now. (Or in a couple of months, when you become a rising fifth-grader.)

It's not at all uncommon for parents not to list their children in school directories, and not to give permission for photos to be published, particularly in a situation where there's a messy divorce, threat of child abduction, child abuse, etc. All too common. My guess is that the cop sees a lot more of this sort of thing than you do.

4. schiezainc

Thanks for the suggestion but I'll talk how I want, when I want and in what manner I want. Don't like it? Hit the Ignore button. :)

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Yes, please, fight for your right to use the word.

Even if you don't like being told what words to use, you should take the advice. It's not an appropriate word.

Maybe you've used it in the past and it wasn't a big deal, but times have changed. To continue to use it makes you look ignorant.

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Especially if you're an editor. You represent your paper and your community whether you like it or not. Acting like an adult is different than how a kid acts. At this point in your life, you should know the difference.

7. schiezainc

Yeah, sorry, I'm not a politically correct person. Never have been, never will be so you shouldn't expect that to change. Ever.

But I will make an honest effort not to use it here since people get offended. Dually noted.

8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Why, that made such an impression, you noted it twice!

9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Dooley noted, too.

10. schiezainc

Just looked that up. I'm an idiot. :)

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

But it Dooley diddle?

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Just saw a terrific interview on MSNBC with the author of The Thank You Economy, Gary Vaynerchuck.

http://garyvaynerchuk.com/private/78853225/6mI4hc6WDk13myebWCLZFuwh

His story, and his advice really sums up for me why Patch, as well as traditional newspapers and their associated websites, will continue to struggle.

If you were to talk to any sales and marketing consultant about ways to grow your business, buying ads on Patch or in local newspapers would be way down on their list of things to do.

It's about personalizing your business. It's about networking, and finding and growing brand ambassadors. One of your friends recommending a restaurant, a business, a brand makes more of an impact than most ads ever will.

On side note, I did hear an ad on the radio recently that made a lot of sense. It was for Tempurpedic. Their mattresses are very expensive, but they are very popular with their owners.

And, since it's a fairly permanent purchase, no one wants to spend that kind of money on something they may not end up being happy with.

Well, the said to ask your friends on Facebook and Twitter what they thought of their Tempurpedic mattress. I thought that was brilliant.

Not only is the requester likely to receive positive feedback (because people really do like them) but other people in their networks will also be exposed to positive messages about them.

Now, you might not know that your friend even has a Tempurpedic mattress, let alone ask them about it, but through social media, recommendations and conversations come about that previously would not have.

Draft saved Draft deleted