1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Problems at Patch.com

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Drip, Jan 19, 2011.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

Fixed.

My favorite fanboish behavior ever was by the beat writer (from a good-sized newspaper) for an independent baseball team. He also doubled as the PA guy, which was a terrible conflict of interest even before he fashioned a schtick equal parts John Sterling, Ken Harrelson and the SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY monster truck guy. Horrendous. Then he'd go downstairs and pretend to be all serious reporter dude.

2. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Oh, no doubt. I'm sure this isn't a Patch-only problem. But, in this instance, it was and this was the first time I've ever seen it done so blatantly.

And, yes, terrier, I believe we're talking about the same person.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

You would be surprised (well, actually you wouldn't), at how often in my Podunk weekly and daily days, that people would get upset that I wasn't blatantly rooting for their teams.

4. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Yeah, you're both talking about the same person, unless an assignment changed at the last minute.

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Patch's success and/or credibility doesn't hinge on what some random writer does in Connecticut and Rhode Island. Think macro here.

6. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Happens to me all the time. I've had parents ask me, on a fairly regular basis actually, how happy I am (insert team here) made it to the championship game.

My usual response, which often ends the conversation, is that I don't care either way. I just go to what's on the schedule.

7. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

I've seen the same behavior from writers at Podunk dailies.

BYH: Great posts today.

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

You don't have to talk to parents and fans.

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Actually, yes it does.

10. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Eh. It does on a micro level. But any chain with more than, I don't know, 10 papers, it probably going to have varying degrees of experience and professionalism amongst its staff, depending on the leadership.

It's hard to make equivalencies though - When was the last time someone tried to essentially start 700 daily news operations simultaneously? Assuming the whole model is viable (a big "if" for everyone here to swallow, I know), you're still looking at a couple years until you hit a level of quality across the sites, as management determines what works and what doesn't from a programming and employee standpoint.

11. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Newspapers survive despite major columnists such as Barnicle and Albom lying, or some idiot in Podunk wearing team gear. How many readers care if some Patch writer cheers?

Patch's issues go beyond credibility. If Patch fails, it won't be because of some prom story or a homer at a tennis match.

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Barnacle got fired.

Albom was suspended.

Draft saved Draft deleted