1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Problems at Patch.com

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Drip, Jan 19, 2011.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

You really think journalists everywhere don't have to work with an expectation of turning out a certain amount of work? Really?

2. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

The paper I work for is the Podunk Press. The sister papers are the Bumfuck Bugle, the Local Times and the Daily whogivesashit. When we refer to these papers, we refer by their actual names. But, they are all houses under one central brand name (Southern Podunk Newspapers).

I am embarrassed to have my work associated with their work because the Bumfuck editor's main priority is his two young children and new house (as it should be I suppose). The Local Times editor is woefully over his head in the position he's in and goes out of his way to do as little an amount of work as possible so that he can spend time at the bar and hang out with his band and the Daily Whogivesashit editor more or less has no idea what she is doing and no one in my company wants to take the time to show her.

I, on the other hand, bust my ass 50-60 hours per week (I'm salary so it doesn't really matter) to put out a good product and, if you compare my paper with the above-mentioned three, it's a pity.

I'm not trying to toot my own horn here (OK, maybe I am a little) but the point is that I don't feel like someone should link me with those papers since I have nothing to do with how they are produced and vise versa. Therefore, I can't understand the desire to link one Patch site with another, especially since the crossover in readership from one site to the next can't be but a very, very tiny number.

3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Other than the last part -- I really don't think most newsrooms are filled with people on high, proclaiming they know best about everything -- this post is dead-on.

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Your chain has greater crossover with one central website, so you're affected by what other editors do. In the end, the other editors have a pretty good deal.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Funny Patch story... I have a friend who works for one of the sites. She said there's a patch site that has not been updated in over a month, the person who runs it wants to get fired, I think she's already started a new job, but Patch has never said a word to her about her site not being touched in so long.

I don't know how that's possible, but I think it's hilarious.

6. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Old enough. Sorry :)

7. outofplace

It sounds like bullshit, though I guess it is possible if her regional editor was incompetent or lazy enough.

8. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

It's going to be a lot of fun when Patch gets nailed with a lawsuit. They love "taking" from other organizations in a way that's um, well ...

9. outofplace

Care to elaborate or is this just a potshot?

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

A quick google search shows they've had issues in various parts of the country.

But, I'm sure it hasn't hurt their brand at all.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. Mark McGwire

Mark McGwire Member

This is just laughably wrong. You're so out of your depth.

A newspaper is a commodity. Journalism is a practice.

And while I am at it, no, marketing is not a field of study and branding is something done to cattle.

12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

A journalistic outlet can be both a brand and a commodity.

I'd lean more to Mark's side on this, but there still is a branding element there. Otherwise, why would we be rushing papers out on the floor/field after championships, hoping they get on TV?

Draft saved Draft deleted