1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Problems at Patch.com

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Drip, Jan 19, 2011.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Not sure it really brings much information. Out of 900 employees, they found one willing to rip the company with a lot of opinion and vague comments about sales dropping (No specifics given).

More fodder for the Patch bashers and nothing that really changes the opinion of the Patch employees who post here or those of us who are taking a wait-and-see approach.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

When you're heading towards a cliff, I'm not sure a wait-and-see approach is advisable.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

From what I can tell, it's not like there are many Patch editors turning down offers elsewhere. Lots of good people in this business out of work. Even if it eventually fails, a year or two of a paycheck and more work on the resume ain't a bad thing.

4. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

5. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

I thought there would be interest here in this Ad Age story on Patch, http://adage.com/article/digital/aol-s-patch-a-hyper-local/231445/

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

Personally speaking, and I hope not to offend anyone who is still employed them, patch sucks.

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

If you want to write about real estate open houses and ribbon-cutting ceremonies, Patch is for you.

8. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Meh - For the most part, the few mergers they've done have been in places where it makes sense. For example, towns that share a school district or other services. (Disclosure: I run a Patch site in Rhode Island.)

9. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

10. Tucsondriver

Tucsondriver Member

Not saying Patch is, was, or ever will be such a great investment idea, but AOL's already sunk so much money into this it's hard to see them cut and run at this point. I could see them making huge cutbacks and turning it into a glorified Groupon (which I think was the whole idea in the first place), but I just don't see them blowing the whole thing up yet.

11. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I'm not rooting for Patch to fail. It's become a big part of my community, especially with the dailies cutting back. Plus, anyplace that employs journalists is fine by me.

12. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

If you call what Patch does as journalism, at least in some markets. More likely, working at Patch is delaying the inevitable --a painful career change.

Draft saved Draft deleted