1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Problems at Patch.com

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Drip, Jan 19, 2011.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

More great reporting from the LA Times a different Patch:

http://monrovia.patch.com/articles/analysis-is-the-gold-line-settlement-a-good-deal-for-taxpayers

2. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I see three national ads via a server, and one local one based on my cookies when I visit the page. Do you have an ad blocker on or something?

3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I'm beating a drum here for some unknown reason, but I find it interesting that the LAT is running the Patch guy's photo on Page 1.

http://www.latimes.com/

...no Phil Collins story in sight.

4. Simon

Simon Active Member

And the hammer drops on Patch...

http://pandodaily.com/2012/02/29/source-aol-planning-to-layoff-hundreds-next-week/

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Color me shocked. And saddened. Hate to see this anywhere. But you dive into the pool with AOL, you are going to get dirty.
    Rat bastards.

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Companies can't just throw money at a product with no hope for a return. I don't consider AOL bastards in this case, because if you worked at Patch, you had to know it wasn't working.

7. Moderator1

yeah, I can see that - I just meant in general. They come up with these ideas, right? They have to know it will take a while. Seems to me - and yes, I'm VERY biased here because of the FanHouse thing - they give up way too quickly. They change direction and throw a bunch of people overboard and move on to their next hot idea.

8. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

In the latest news, someone at Patch sends a proud and angry email to Business Insider's Nicholas Carlson, who penned a negative article on the company:

http://www.observer.com/2012/03/patch-employee-to-business-insider-screw-bi-and-go-patch/

9. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Doesn't that seem to be the thing in management these days? Don't be afraid to quickly get rid of things that don't work. I haven't taken any business courses, just economics, but from meetings and presentations over the years, that seems to be a big theme.

What is the next hot idea from AOL? I'm surprised Comcast hasn't made a run at it as it would seem to pass antitrust muster now.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That must be the same person who was on here awhile back telling us to suck it because they all went to a party and FREE DRINKS!!!!!

11. Moderator1

You may be right, sadly. Cut and run.
    I mean, I'll admit there were times during my FanHouse days, as I planned our coverage schedule or what not, that I wondered how much money was left in the bank. How long could this continue? (Not very long, I learned).
    But then I'd think, they HAVE to know this won't be cheap or quick. We're still basically in our infancy.

If AOL does come up with another hot idea, will anyone go for it after AOL's recent history? They could walk in here with a wheelbarrow full of money right now and I'd be hesitant.

12. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

But you have a comfortable job right? At least as comfortable as one could expect in this business? Seems to me that the people who jump at these AOL gigs either 1.) Don't have anything else lined up or 2.) Decide the short-term payoff and long-term insecurity is worth the price being offered.

Draft saved Draft deleted