1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Problems at Patch.com

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Drip, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I have one NOW. I've been the first to admit I got lucky as all hell that this opened up when it did. Many of my FanHouse colleagues still don't have full-time work.

But I did fit into the classes you mentioned when I joined FanHouse. I was trying to make a web site and my own freelance thing work. It was, almost. Bringing in some cash, not quite as much as I needed. Tired of wondering when these people would pay me or those people would pay me. So I jumped at a VERY good offer at what seemed like a VERY good place.

And it was. FanHouse was great. Some of us are getting together this weekend to mark a year since the fateful end.

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

If someone wants to pay you good money, especially if you're not in the best of situations, you're not going to turn it down. The moral of the story for AOL employees is be sure to beef up your savings, keep your resume updated, and have good references when the ax inevitably comes down.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Yep. Well said.

I do think, though, the number of those willing to jump in will decrease with each shutdown. Sad to say, though, with the state of the industry, there is never going to be a shortage of good people looking. If this one dries up, I'd be back in the same boat (knocking on my wooden head).

And I'll emphasize again: I'm hardly unbiased in my thoughts on AOL. Clouds things a bit.

4. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Sage advice for any start-up opportunity. You go in understanding there's a good chance it won't make it, and it may not have the first thing to do with the quality of product. You work your ass off, do your part to make it a going concern, and it either results in a strong job or a strong clip file when the bottom falls out.

I won't lie; if Patch somehow got back on relatively terra firma and expanded into my hometown, I'd absolutely try to snag a job there. Any job > no job. I'd damn well make sure I was positioning myself for the next move all the while though.

5. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

This sucks. I know several good journalists working at Patch sites. I'm hoping they can avoid the ax.

7. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Damn, I can't believe it's been a year. I remember rushing to get one last freelance feature in for you before The Sporting News took over. I was so bummed when it all went down, I can't even imagine what it was like for the fulltimers.

8. Simon

Simon Active Member

9. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Well, that first link - and no offense, Simon, since you are the one that posted it - really was just conjecture that some people at Patch would be among those to get the ax. I'm sure Patch is hit or miss around the country. I like what they do in our community.

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I spoke with someone who works at a Patch site and he's under the impression that those who get axed will be from areas where too many Patch sites are too close, such as neighboring towns. He doesn't believe it's a wholesale shutdown of Patch.

11. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

There are plenty of problems to overcome in the field. The name shouldn't be one of them. But ... the word "Patch" doesn't exactly bring journalistic images to mind. Makes me think of the pants I wore as a 6-year-old.

12. nate41

nate41 Member

I used to get pretty conistent work from the Patch sites in my area but they've basically cut all sports coverage without really saying why.

Now they're basically like a big Groupon with polls. My Facebook feed is flooded with posts about voting for the best hair salon in town, best pizza joint, etc.

Draft saved Draft deleted