1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Problems at Patch.com

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Drip, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

In the suburban metro area where I live, the local Patch sports editor, responsible for feeding about 18 town sites, has lost his stringer budget completely. He's not even 100 percent on sports now, but doing real estate stuff as well.

And this is after an uptick in local ads, he says.

2. Mr. X

Mr. X Active Member

I thought there would be interest here in this Columbia Journalism Review cover story by a former Patch local editor, http://www.cjr.org/cover_story/the_constant_gardener.php?page=all

3. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I think this is one of the fairer outside articles I've seen on Patch, with the caveat that I still attribute many workload issues (60+ hour weeks) to people not being comfortable with letting go when it comes to news. (i.e. At any publication, you simply will not cover everything, and you have to be comfortable with just going the fuck to sleep at some point.)

4. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Good link, thanks. Interesting. Take away for me was towns with no newspaper are interested in what's happening...cool...but you can't reasonably expect to produce an entire newspaper's worth of content, online or otherwise, with one person. Insane.

5. geddymurphy

geddymurphy Member

Great read. Shows what they're doing well and what they're not.

I'll keep my fingers crossed. As a journalist, I'd hate to see people lose their jobs, however difficult; as a reader, I love my local Patch and don't want to lose it.

One nit-picky thing: He says some editors focused on "sports and schools," while some focused on "hard news and politics." In a local community, there's hardly anything "harder" and more "political" than schools.

6. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

The interesting and informative Patch story linked above proves yet again that companies that depend upon advertising to survive usually do a terrible job advertising themselves.

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

That's a pretty interesting observation.

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Patch had a paid announcement and graphic on the scoreboard at the Nets game tonight. No mention of the areas Patch covers, though.

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

AOL buys Patch some more time:

10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Saw that, too. Seems like much of AOL's "profits" come from selling assets.

11. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

So they really are in the journalism business after all. :)

12. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

AOL has patents?

Draft saved Draft deleted