1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Problems at Patch.com

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Drip, Jan 19, 2011.

1. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

From Poynter and Forbes, reporting on the AOL earnings' call today, Patch traffic and advertisers have grown 40 percent year to year, and revenue has grown 100 percent: http://www.poynter.org/latest-news/mediawire/173310/aol-earnings-reports-tell-history-of-patch-since-2009/

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Considering the complete lack of ads on a lot of Patch sites in the past, the revenue growth isn't surprising.

3. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Leaks and holes, with no sufficient patch in sight amid realignment and layoffs:

http://jimromenesko.com/2012/05/22/patch-realigns-lays-off-key-leadership/

4. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

The Patch "realignment" has claimed at least one of my former colleagues, a regional editor who was a relatively early hire. It appears the other guys, at least one of whom was also a regional editor, have been spared.

I'm curious whether the town sites will be further combined, costing more jobs.

5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Hmm. I can't find that post about the open bars and New York City party. What happened?

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Everyone, you owe it to yourselves to click through on that link and read the memo, which ends: "Go Patch!"

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

It's still there.

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/posts/2970344/

8. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Ah, was looking on the wrong thread.

9. Tucsondriver

Tucsondriver Member

This memo is troublesome on so many levels, but leaving aside this ethically questionable "One Team, One Goal" plan and the silly "Go Patch" ending, I don't remember ever seeing a layoff notice that at least didn't give lip service to those who just lost their jobs. Seems like this memo is tailored more for shareholders than internal consumption.

10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I'm a bigger supporter of Patch than most around here, but damn, "Go Patch!"? WTF???

11. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

Does anyone here even look at any of the Patch.com sites on a regular basis? The only time I even think about patch.com is when someone posts something about it here.

12. Tucsondriver

Tucsondriver Member

I look every weeks to see what they're making former colleagues do and I cry... It seems like what's been called the Scientology of journalism has turned into a hostage situation.

Draft saved Draft deleted