1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Problems at Patch.com

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Drip, Jan 19, 2011.

1. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

According to the regional Patch editors I spoke with last night, they can't hire anybody in the first quarter, at least around here. The freelance budgets have also been cut, though it's up to the individual site editors (or whatever they're called) to decide whether that means reducing fees or the number of freelance pieces used.

The two regional editors seem pretty happy. The one who is managing a site, not so much. The joke about him having an ankle monitor that shocks him when he goes more than 10 miles outside his hometown coverage area seemed eerily accurate.

2. CA_journo

CA_journo Member

That was something I ran into while freelancing for them. I love the company, but it got really frustrating having to explain the damn concept to every person I spoke to. The coach of one girls team flipped out when I wanted to do a story on his team (with photos), probably thinking I'm some random internet pedophile.

3. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

Maybe it's because I covered preps for a newspaper for so long, but I have not run into any problems with covering events for Patch. Sure most people don't know what it is, they've only been in the communities I cover for a little more than a year. But who can blame them? Once the coaches and parents visit the site and see what Patch is doing, they like it. At least I haven't heard any complaints. They like the hyperlocal coverage that the bigger newspapers in the area don't have. They like the videos, the photos.
    It's going to take time to get that name-recognition out. Sadly, Patch and AOL probably won't give it enough time to build any kind of reputation though.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The part about the LE having to put file five or six stories themselves per day in addition to managing the freelancers. It is more like four per day including freelance articles. Some choose to do more.

There are plenty of good questions to ask about Patch, but it helps to start with accurate information.

5. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

The understanding I got when I interviewed was 4-5 fresh pieces per day across the site, and something on the weekend. It can be done if you manage your incoming copy well.
    If the software allows copy to up at a certain time and you have enough stuff coming in, barring breaking news, you can probably steal a weekend (or most of it) off. Just maintain enough sources that somebody let's you know if something happens.

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Don't forget abot video on 70 percent of content, according to the NYT.

7. Cigar56

Cigar56 Member

Fine. The local editor has to post 5 or 6 pieces a day in addition to managing 12-18 freelancers. The 5 or 6 pieces can come from the local editor or from the freelancers -- or a combination. However, the the local editor, who is also personally responsible for writing, editing and shooting video, must also manage the content provided by the 12-18 freelancers and serve as their daily contact.

For some local editors who choose to do so, the work week can extend over six or more days.

How is this for accuracy?

8. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

That sounds like a lot of work. And when I think about the person I know who went to work for Patch, I cannot imagine that person being able to handle that and have it be in any sort of decent shape.

9. outofplace

Check out a Patch site and see if that is accurate. There is video on one or two pieces of content per day, if that.

10. outofplace

Closer, except I think the minimum for content each day is lower than that. Probably depends on the regional editors a bit, too.

11. Cigar56

Cigar56 Member

Well here is fact. In a number of markets Patch is advertising for a number of "associate local editors" -- a clear indication that the local editors are maxed out and simply can't handle the work load. We can argue about how much many story/videos the local editors are required to post, but the fact is they just can't get it all done in a five-day week and still manage 12-18 freelancers, most of whom are greenhorns and need heavy hand holding:

119855BR
    Posting Job Title Associate Local Editor, Silicon Valley, Patch
    Brand Patch
    Market Location United States - California - Work From Home
    Position
    Type Full Time
    Posting Job Description Are you a passionate and entrepreneurial online journalist? Want to be part of a dynamic and innovative team of journalists, engineers, designers and business pros who are creating a bold new solution for our industry? Do you think that traditional news media just don’t get it anymore? Would you like to run your own local news Web site, where you'll tap the multimedia and social media skills you've mastered to transform community journalism and connect with communities? If you answered “yes” to any of those questions, keep reading…

We’re Patch.com, a start-up that’s radically reinventing community journalism. We launched in February 2009 and we now operate hundreds of local news sites in towns with populations under 70,000, and we continue to expand! Patch is founded on two core principles: that news matters in towns across the country and that we can create a successful business model to sustain it. Even as many newsrooms have been downsized or shut down, Patch is investing millions to create a nationwide network of news sites using our dynamic platform to produce meaningful daily and enterprise journalism and pioneer new forms of storytelling to serve communities. We have won acclaim in the industry and coverage in The New York Times, Forbes Magazine, Bloomberg, NPR's "Talk of the Nation," "The News Hour with Jim Lehrer," and numerous industry blogs and Web sites. We've recently also announced Patch.org, a new initiative that will allow us to collaborate with local foundations and journalism schools to cover under-served communities.

Patch.com is looking for smart, innovative journalists to join our team as full-time site editors. We see this as nothing less than the future of online journalism. Visit patch.com to learn more about our mission and to visit our news sites.

Job responsibilities (to include, but not limited to):

• Assist with running local news sites all in close proximity OR dispersed in a region – reporting, writing, taking pictures and video; finding, assigning and editing freelancers and local columnists, and connecting with the community to attract user-generated content

• Provide vacation relief to editors in the region when necessary and appropriate

• Assist with initiatives to drive sites in the region to become landmarks in the communities they serve.

• Work collaboratively with colleagues in a region to produce impactful breaking news, features and enterprise journalism and storytelling, and create new ways to connect with and engage communities

• Collaborate with the business team to build and maintain town directory of key officials, organizations and business listings

Required skills:

• Recent community journalism experience.

• Ability to manage, direct, and motivate a team of freelancers.

• Ability to manage a budget

• “Bull-dog” reporting instincts

• willingness to ask tough questions of important people.

• Experience in online journalism

• Experience editing video, producing a Web site and/or excellent photography skills.

• Firm grasp of AP style.

• Solid news judgment.

• Adept with a variety of social media tools

• Strong organizational, time management, and interpersonal skills.

Desired skills:

• Passionate about the web, social networking, and of course community journalism.

• Be able to quickly grasp the interests, rhythms and identity of a community.

• Thrive in a fast-paced environment

• Entrepreneurial spirit and drive; start up experience a plus

Education/Industry background:

• Ideal candidate will have at least two years of professional reporting experience, as well as college media and internship experience

• Degree in journalism, new media, or similar discipline (graduate degree a plus)

Unique requirements:

• Must be a flexible, independent, self-starter – you’ll work from home, the coffee shop, your car, the high school football game

• Tools for the job … best of all we will provide them: including a laptop, smart phone, camera, police scanner, etc.

• Must own a car.

• Must be willing to relocate if there isn't a site near you.

• Ability and willingness to work long hours (outside of the typical M-F and 9-5), evenings and weekends and holidays

12. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

What happens now and what the goal is are two different things.

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2011/02/02/is-aol-insane.aspx

Prove me wrong Patch, because it will be dead in two years in its current form. There may be a freelance component left to manage various sites, but local editors will be gone. I see several cities in Pennsylvania for example that have a Patch site when there is no local need. Is there a reason to have Patch in Easton or Bethlehem? Those cities seem too big for Patch to have any traction.

Draft saved Draft deleted