1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Problems at Patch.com

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Drip, Jan 19, 2011.

1. lono

lono Active Member

That's a lot of work for $40k a year.

2. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

I've always maintained that the problem with hyperlocal is that eventually you run out of news.

This is taking it to an extreme, but consider a community with 40 people. You have a grocer, a barber, a farmer, an accountant, etc.

At what point are these people actually doing stuff that's newsworthy, and at what point are you just reporting on useless, mundane things? The all-Hyperlocal Daily baseball team is probably choosing 60 percent of an eligible population.

That's why I've never been drawn to this hyperlocal stuff. Let me know what's going on in the world and how it relates to me. I don't care very much to read 45 inches about the butcher who's been in business for 20 years at the age of 43.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Those poor, messed-up bastards! They are actually hiring more people! A true sign of impending doom!

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

AOL's history of getting excited about ventures, hiring a ton of people, and telling everyone they are 100 percent behind it, isn't the most confidence-inspiring.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

6. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Speaking from experience, and certainly not even just this last FanHouse deal, boy, is that true.

There was a very narrow time where AOL was THE innovator, had a great idea and led the way in the online industry, both in terms of access and providing popular content to users. And they've lived on that rep for a very long time.

But that time is long past, and their innovations and great ideas have been fewer and farther between, and if you look at the latest, I don't know, 10 years, they've had more misses than makes.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

No doubt. I'm just saying that Cigar using the hiring of more people as a bad thing is kinda silly.

8. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

Knowing what you know now, would you leave your newspaper gig for Patch?

9. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I dunno, man. Hiring unemployed or young, inexperienced people, OK, I'll give it to you. And that might be the majority of people taking a shot with Patch. Hiring people who already had jobs and gave them up for promises of great things and long-term security with FanHouse?

Yeah, it was a bad thing.

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Long-term security these days means you'll get your next paycheck.

11. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

And that it clears.

12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I know a smart, aggressive 23 year old girl who just graduated with a Mass Comm degree from Cal State Fullerton and I'm hoping Patch comes to our neck of the woods cause she'd jump at one of those jobs.

Draft saved Draft deleted