1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Purple Rain at 40.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Neutral Corner, Jul 1, 2024 at 11:15 AM.

1. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

There was a cover band in Champaign that ended every night they played with "Let's Go Crazy" and did a great job with it.

I got really tired of "Purple Rain" and "Born in the USA" after about five months of being played in every car's cassette deck all the damn time.

2. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Prince had a top-15 single every year from 1982 through 1995 except 1993. So he was basically a constant soundtrack to my elementary school, junior high, high school and college years. He made prolific look lazy.

3. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

As Mrs. Coco is a huge Prince fan, she bought some of his 1990s albums (technically credited to an unpronounceable symbol). I lost the thread when he put out a mid-1990s album with multiple versions of the same song filling it out ("The Most Beautiful Girl in the World").

But he came back strong in the early 2000s with a great tour and new backing musicians, including an all-girl rock band (3rdeyegirl) in the 2010s that was really good.

4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I slept overnight to get tickets to the Purple Rain tour. Prince was fantastic.

Even before Purple Rain I enjoyed Controversy and 1999 (DMSR very underrated).

Man I’m old.

garrow and I Should Coco like this.
  5. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Ok.
    I’ll bite.
    1 has to be either “Thriller” or “Born In The USA”…..

6. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

“Appetite for Destruction,” and its taillights are way off in the distance.

7. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Not long after Prince died, David Gilmour was performing in London. He did a mash-up of Comfortably Numb and Purple Rain that was incredible.

As someone said in the YouTube comments……Gilmour interrupted one of the best guitar solos of all time to play one of the best guitar solos of all time.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2024 at 10:22 PM
Draft saved Draft deleted