1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Regional Sports Networks Going Bankrupt

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Readallover, Feb 15, 2023.

1. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Hey if you just watch Braves games that's like a quarter per game

2. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

At $5.60 I'm surprised it was that high. If the Mouse went belly-up that has to be half a benjamin in comparison.

3. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Back when I was a kid in Pittsburgh, mom finally sprung for cable in the summer of 1987, mainly so her idiot kid could have baseball to watch. Back then, Pirates games were broadcast on a channel called KBL, which had a digital scrolling message board for 21 hours a day ("St. Anthonys Fish Fry. Every Friday at 5. Call 412-666-6578 For Details... Glassport Community Day, July 13 at...." until the plug was pulled at exactly 7p.m. and they showed the game, then did a five-minute postgame show. The minute John Sanders was finished saying, "Join us tomorrow at 7 when the Pirates take on the Cardinals. Goodnight, everybody," blammo. Message board again. "McKeesport Band Car Wash, Saturday July 17 at CoGos...."

They should go back to that.

4. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

We had one of those message board channels way back in the day, like late-70s and early-80s, and I was obsessed with that during baseball season.

The only regular games we could watch were Cubs on WGN (I think it was before the Braves on WTBS), the NBC Game of the Week on Saturday afternoon and the random Monday Night Baseball on ABC. So as a non-Cubs fan, that was how I kept up with my team.

It did news, weather and sports news, then each game had a screen page, updated inning-by-inning with the linescore, who the pitchers were and HRs. I can vividly remember being all, "Who the fuck is this Guidry guy for the Yankees? He refuses to lose!" during his monster season (1979? 1978?).

Last edited: Jun 27, 2024
  5. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

When we signed up for TCI cable our area got the infamous KBL, WWOR for Mets games, WTBS for the Braves and the Game of the Week/Monday Night Baseball. I was a Dodgers fan growing up so I thought it was great to be able to stay up and watch the Braves/Mets/Pirates play them on the west coast.

maumann likes this.
  6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Minus the baseball, this was Channel 7 on our cable system. The top of the screen was a black band with the current National Weather Service forecast, complete with coding. Below that was a royal blue background with community messages interspersed with AP story summaries, all in default word processor font. Later they got fancy with multi-colored backgrounds for advertiser messages. For background music they used the local full-service radio station, complete with Paul Harvey and obituaries at high noon.

BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
  7. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

I gave the background on our provider a little earlier, but the fee I pay is $14.47. It used to be with two local channels, but now it's just one. Have we gotten any kind of refund or fee reduction? Of course not. So we're paying almost $15 for one channel. You got a steal. I really need to inquire about it. It seems a little ridiculous.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

We got rid of our cable / Fios (two different homes) packages earlier this year and went streaming only for live TV. I care about Yankees / Rangers / Knicks. You can now subscribe for streaming only to YES Network (Yankees and Brooklyn Nets, which I don't care as much about) and MSG Network (Knicks and Rangers).

Yankees (YES) had a special if you signed up by end of April for $19.99 a month, which I was fine with. ... except that probably 20 percent of the games have been parceled out to Amazon, Apple TV and ESPN / Fox, which seem to want as many Yankees game as possible. I think that is how MLB is itself shooting themselves in the foot. I am sure there are people who are annoyed that their $20 a month to YES is getting them shut out of so many games. At what point do those people just bolt?

MSG is $29.99 a month, but at least you get 95 percent of the basketball and hockey games for the fee (which I suspect most of you will find exorbitant). You can pay $309.99 for the year, which works out to a little less than $26 a month (YES does something similar -- a yearly discount), but I decided to just pay monthly and only add each service in season.

9. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

This might just be me talking as an old fart shaking his fist at the clouds (though I'm younger than you :D) but wouldn't you rather pay more for cable and get hundreds of channels (most of which, admittedly, you probably never watch) than pay so much for just two channels on a seasonal basis? It also lessens the sting of a fucking Yankees-Orioles game being only on fucking ION-3, or some shit.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Oh, I'm also paying for a live streaming TV package that gives me all the useless channels I never watch (in addition to a few I actually wanted).

11. Readallover

Readallover Active Member

12. Readallover

Readallover Active Member

Draft saved Draft deleted