1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Regional Sports Networks Going Bankrupt

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Readallover, Feb 15, 2023.

1. Readallover

Readallover Active Member

2. Readallover

3. Readallover

4. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I was hitting links and reading about this. One article discussed the situation in the Denver area where local cable companies have not reached an agreement with the Altitude, the Avalanche/Nuggets cable channel, for a couple years. The article quoted one of the providers as saying they some their data showed that less five percent of their audience had been watching one hour of Altitude a week. These regional sports networks have been receiving around five dollars a cable subscriber. If the local cable company is charging $100 a month it makes no economic sense for the cable provider to pay the sports network five percent of revenues if they bring in less than five per cent of the subscribers.

I think the bubble has popped.

Liut and Readallover like this.
  5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

It's Comcast that won't pick up Altitude, the largest cable/satellite provider in the area. And we're going on four years with this. DirecTV has a deal with Altitude.

Liut likes this.
  6. Readallover

7. Readallover

8. Readallover

9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

How many consumers are ponying up for ESPN+ or the Disney bundle that includes ESPN? I just don’t see consumers spending $25/month to watch baseball games, especially if the team stinks. And baseball is the only sport that offers the tonnage of content needed to lure people in.

(ESPN+ is great for gamblers, it airs every damn game under the sun.)

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

ESPN+ includes everything ESPN produces, including every major and minor sport from every Division I conference, along with NHL Center Ice and selected MLB games. It’s finding its audience.

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I paid for the Disney Plus/ESPN Plus bundle (plus Hulu, which I don’t watch) until switching my cell service to Verizon. Now I get it as a toss-in by going one step up in my data plan, which means a slight savings over before.

12. Readallover

Draft saved Draft deleted