1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Regional Sports Networks Going Bankrupt

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Readallover, Feb 15, 2023.

1. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

What are the teams that have/had contracts with Diamond and Discovery doing. Can fans in those cities watch the games. Is streaming being offered?

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Diamond Sports filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection, but they are still broadcasting games on all the Bally channels while the process plays out. They had plenty of cash on hand still, so I am assuming they have been making their rights fees payments on whatever schedule they are supposed to.

3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Discovery/AT&T isn’t immediately pulling out, I think they’re trying to sell the networks first.

4. Readallover

Readallover Active Member

5. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

The fact that the story doesn't even spell the commissioner's name correctly concerns me. However, Diamond/Bally/Sinclair claims it has the money but missed the mid-March payment because of "restructuring?" I think that's pretty weak sauce, and MLB has every right to a speedy resolution, especially since the network continues to make money off advertising without paying for the rights.

Again, Sinclair deserves every morsel of scorn I can heap upon it. I'm sorry for the folks who earn a paycheck, but if the place imploded this afternoon, I'd give zero f---s.

6. Readallover

7. Readallover

8. Readallover

9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

What’s the play here in going back to broadcast? Is this a time buy where they’re hoping broadcast ad rates will make up for the stupid rights fee they got paid?

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

What a crazy concept - marketing to the general public.

11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

The chief appeal for the teams is increasing their reach. Only 800,000 people in Arizona get Bally's, and I'm pretty confident that the demo of that 800k skewed a hell of a lot older than the NBA demographic. RSNs are built on a dying model.

The Suns can now reach 2.8 million people with their games over the air and are setting up their own streaming service. The rights fees aren't as high but that was an inevitability for the teams.

Readallover and Liut like this.
  12. matt_garth

matt_garth Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted