1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Regional Sports Networks Going Bankrupt

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Readallover, Feb 15, 2023.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I'm torn on this. I'd love it if the Orioles went OTA and MASN went tits up, but at the same time, I'm three hours outside of Baltimore and not in the Baltimore TV market so my only option would be to stream games. Maybe that's seamless, but streaming services for sports have a shaky record at best. I've said this in the past, but the only reason I'm really holding onto cable is the ease of watching 162 Orioles games and 82 Capitals games each year.

wicked likes this.
  2. Readallover

Readallover Active Member

3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

And this has been an issue for ... a while. Not as long as newspapers-can't-figure-out-how-to-make-money-off-web-ads a while, but it's getting there. It still takes forever to hop between streams, especially if you're on a TV. It still buffers regularly. And this for broadcasts involving BAM, which is supposed to be the best technology for this stuff. If I was told I couldn't watch sports on TV anymore and I had to watch streams only, it'd change my consumption and not for the better.

Hermes, MileHigh and Liut like this.
  4. Readallover

Readallover Active Member

From cnbc.com:
    "MLB announced it would take over beginning with the Padres game against the Miami Marlins on Wednesday. Fans in the Padres’ market will be able to watch games on cable TV or through the league’s MLB.TV streaming app for $19.99 a month or $74.99 for the rest of the season."

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Diamond actually has the cash to keep making their broadcast rights payments, but they have been trying to get MLB to sell them streaming rights, too. They have absolutely no leverage to force MLB's hand, though, and it's just a delusional "bargaining" position. They must think it sounds good to try to pin it on MLB refusing to sell them online streaming rights now, but they signed the deal they are now reneging on willingly.

They had a 20-year contract with the Padres worth $1.2 billion through 2032, and they can't make it work economically. I suspect the economics of it would be fine (but I don't know that for sure) if it wasn't a company that is a product of a leveraged buyout that put $8 billion of debt on its balance sheet. That worked when they could roll over that debt in perpetuity at artificially low interest rates, but when rates rose the debt strangled them.

maumann likes this.
  6. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Baseball is probably the sport that'd do best from in-market streaming. So much of the summer involves everything on the go and/or outside, and so much of my baseball consumption, especially during the summer, involves listening to the audio broadcast on the back deck or while out for a drive. You'd assume a good streaming operation, in conjunction with a strong local streaming infrastructure, would draw in fans who normally wouldn't be watching, like those relaxing on the beach or in the boat, or sitting on the deck who don't have easy access to a TV.

maumann likes this.
  7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I would think San Diego might possibly be the hardest market for a RSN to make the numbers work. You are blocked in by the Dodgers/Angels to the north, Mexico to the south and the ocean to the west. After a little bit of open desert to the east you hit the Arizona line and are blocked by the D’backs.

maumann likes this.
  9. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Philly is a little squeezed too with 2 NY teams to the east, Baltimore-Washington to the south and Pittsburgh to the west. The square mileage might even be a little tighter because it's the East Coast, although the population is likely larger.

maumann likes this.
  10. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

I feel a hot wind on my shoulder
    And the touch of a world that is older
    I turn the switch and check the number
    I leave it on when in bed I slumber
    I hear the rhythms of the music
    I buy the product and never use it
    I hear the talking of the DJ
    Can't understand just what does he say?

I'm on a mexican radio
    I'm on a mexican radio

I dial it in and tune the station
    They talk about the U.S. inflation
    I understand just a little
    No comprende, it's a riddle

I'm on a mexican radio
    I'm on a mexican radio

I wish I was in Tijuana
    Eating barbequed iguana
    I'd take requests on the telephone
    I'm on a wavelength far from home
    I feel a hot wind on my shoulder
    I dial it in from south of the border
    I hear the talking of the DJ
    Can't understand just what does he say?

I'm on a mexican radio
    I'm on a mexican radio
    I'm on a mexican radio
    I'm on a mexican radio

Radio radio...
    What does he say?

11. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

The verse where they rhyme “Tijuana” with “barbecued iguana” always makes me laugh.

HanSenSE and maumann like this.
  12. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Wrong thread!!! :D

HanSenSE, I Should Coco and maumann like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted