1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rick Cerrone out as Yankees PR guru

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BYH, Oct 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

From what I've heard from some radio folks deep in the hearta', I'll second the word on the street for Signor Cerrone. Major-league asshole.

Cue the Green Day song.

2. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

The Yankees played in Toronto days before the one-year anniversary of 9/11. A few weeks before the series, I emailed Cerrone to ask him if there was any possible way we could do a sit-down with Joe Torre about it.

Cerrone calls me back a couple of days later, and says, "I can't give you Joe Torre. How about Roger Clemens?"

After I got up from the floor, I said sure. I know how many of you on the board feel about Clemens, and I learned all about Rogerspeak during his two years in Toronto. But this time he was great and his availability on this occasion made me a Cerrone fan for life. If you've ever read "Damn Yankees" (as someone else recommended), you know how no-win a job this is.

3. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

Wow, he actually answered your e-mail?

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

It's Elliotte. You don't fuck with Elliotte. :D

5. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

OK, now I'm hearing there's more to this than meets the eye (or ear). Something about memorabilia being sold. Anyone?

6. suburbanite

suburbanite Active Member

I believe it. In April, he tried to sell me one of Tanyon Sturtze's boogers from the 2005 ALDS, but I declined.

Actually, I did hear the same rumor, Smasher, but have no further details.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

He tried to sell Arthur Richmond and the contents of Arthur's office on EBAY.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

Seriously, Boom, do you know anyone who would bid on Arthur Richman? (and please try to get the guy's name right)

9. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

Wow someone in baseball selling or taking memorabilia. Stop the presses. What are you going to tell me next, pitchers screw with the ball?

10. Boom_70

Are you kidding. Arthur is a slice of baseball americana. He would have garned a lot of money if the Yankees had not snuffed out the plan.

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

And Boom opens the bidding on Arthur -- a well-preserved specimen, I might add -- at $------- (fill-in the blank)

12. Boom_70

maybe drinking toddy's is the fountain of youth

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.