1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rick Reilly leaves Sports Illustrated - now confirmed by NYT

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by thebiglead, Oct 19, 2007.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I expected a bit more of a big bang debut after all the buildup.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Right. But I'd click on something called "Reilly's first column."

I'm not clicking over here to see what your latest "update" is.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Thanks for letting us all know the reasons you did not click on and post on this thread. You might also want to post the reasons you did not post on the thread you are interested in.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I was sent here by someone else.

And the column didn't strike me enough to comment on it. Only your obsession with old threads.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I didn't miss Reilly. I really didn't. Sorry to hear about his dad. His column about his mom dying was better.
    So whose minutes does Reilly take, Stephen A? I don't see why ESPN doesn't just give Reilly the 10-1 slot on the radio.

6. EE94

EE94 Guest

Clearly they are selling the personality of Rick Reilly more than the content

Whether it was his idea or an editor's, it was

Let the readers get to know YOU, not what you KNOW

7. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

For some reason, warm and touching and poignant don't work for me in ESPN The Mag, regardless of the writer. All that noise, all that flash, all that attitude, all that alleged style over substance is too damn distracting. Makes the quieter stuff seem contrived, forced.

You go there and try to read something "sensitive," it's like trying to wedge a Bible chapel in the middle of your typical NBA arena's exploding, flame-throwing pregame introduction chaos.

8. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

You might be right. However, I found Reilly's offering to be well-written and touching, regardless. But then again, I'm a sucker for schmaltz.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I always thought THE MAG skewed younger, kind of like the 12-24 crowd. Is Reilly the oldest guy they have writing for them?

Draft saved Draft deleted