1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Anchor Brewing

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HanSenSE, Jul 12, 2023.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Maybe this?

HOME - Kootenai River Brewing Company (kootenaibrewing.com)

2. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I actually had a couple IPA’s I liked at Ohio Brew Fest this week! That’s a step in the right direction for me.

3. Mr._Graybeard

Mr._Graybeard Well-Known Member

Great Lakes is a great craft brewer out of Cleveland. Every beer of theirs that I've sampled have been impressive. And they do mainly lagers. Eliot Ness Amber, Edmund Fitzgerald Porter and Dortmunder Gold are all excellent.
    We have a craft brewer called New Glarus that doesn't distribute outside of the state. Their bread and butter brew is a farmhouse ale called Spotted Cow. I'm not much of a fan of that, but their seasonal offerings are generally enjoyable. The best part is that a 12-pack of cans costs $14.

4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

There's a Great Lakes Brewery in Toronto that does some fine beer too. Pompous Ass English Ale is a quality beer.

Tighthead likes this.
  5. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

6. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

I love Bombardier. I haven't seen it in a while, unfortunately. And yes -- what you linked is what I'm talking about re: English IPAs. As initially conceived (using extra hops as a preservative so the ale would survive the voyage to India to send to British colonial troops) it was nowhere near as hoppy as American IPAs (or even American pale ales). Also uses different types of hops.

7. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

Nice article! They are good guys. I don't know them well, but Jack's wife Abby (hence the name "Jack's Abby") is actually a friend of my wife's -- they used to work together. Their dad was their main investor from what I understand, but they've really taken it and run with it and put out an exceptional product and created a fantastic company and done great things civically as well. Downtown Framingham still has its challenges, but JA staying in Framingham when they outgrew their original space, refurbishing all that industrial space downtown to expand their brewing operations and opening their Beer Hall has made a tremendous difference. And they've done a lot of charitable activity as well. I wish they could have kept their Springdale line going (and I still have a couple of cans of the Springdale Brigadeiro Stout in my beer fridge) but I could understand why they needed to dedicate additional physical space to the JA brand and to the contract brewing they're doing for Night Shift and others.

spikechiquet likes this.
  8. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Really hate this. Their steam beer and fresh hop Christmas beers were tremendous.

Think I’ll brew a steam beer next.

Spartan Squad likes this.
  9. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

I had a good California Common Steam Beer at Mighty Squirrel in Waltham, Mass. the other day (in memory of Anchor Steam). But I only ever see their IPAs, like Cloud Candy, in stores.

10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Canuckistanis of a certain vintage will probably remember this as our first exposure to an IPA. Long gone now, Alexander Keith's is probably the best known English-style IPA up here (though I am not crazy about it.)

[​IMG]

Machine Head likes this.
  11. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Hey I found more after it being picked over the day after the news

IMG_7769.jpeg

HanSenSE and Huggy like this.
  12. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted