1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Braves

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, May 6, 2006.

1. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Faults in the front office?

Barring catastrophic injury, the Mets ain't blowing this lead, folks. These are not the Mets of Armando Benitez, John Franco, etc who were scared shitless of the Braves. These Mets have vets in the clubhouse like Delgado, Beltran, Wagner, Glavine, Pedro, Lo Duca, Julio Franco and Wright (who carries himself like a vet). Most of those guys haven't been through any Met meltdowns, so the team's past history is pretty much irrelevant. They could still use another starting pitcher, but they've got more than enough to win this division.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Well they don't have room for Colon because he's pushing four bills.  :D

If I were the Angels, I'd view this season as a write-off. By this time next year, they could have kids starting at every IF position except SS, and that's assuming they give Brandon Wood another year on the farm. I'd give serious thought to that rumored Santana-for-Carl Crawford deal. God knows Garret Anderson long ago shot past inadequate in the field (and at the plate too). Stash him at DH until his ill-advised long-term deal finally expires.

Edit: Broadway Joe, Jeff Wilpon hasn't done anything right sincde he was born.

3. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

OK, fair enough. I thought you were referring to Omar Minaya, who hasn't made a single wrong move that I can think of.

4. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

He and Jed Bartlet

5. The Braves aren't out of it. Michael Wilbon gave them a 0% chance of being out of it. On the other hand, Kornheiser went for 100%. Go Braves! Heres cheers for one more playoff disappointment

6. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

The AJC had a quote from Schuerholz the other day about how a bunch of other GMs had notes with his number on it, and nobody was calling him back. On top of everything else that's gone wrong in Atlanta so far in 2006, Schuerholz' long-standing propensity for getting the better of other teams in trades might be hurting them, too.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

When this thread first started, my son the Braves fan said, "Tell your SJ friends to eat a box of chopped assholes or vats of dong or whatever you guys say on that board."

Today, he said, "Tell your boys they were right. My team now sucks as bad as yours."

Well, not yet. But they're getting there.

8. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

They do suck. And while I'm not ready to throw in the towel just yet -- they have plenty of talent to turn it around, and the NL East is not known for holding up their end of the bargain re: the Braves -- I just don't see where the spark is going to come from in the second half.

In the past, you could count on a Schuerholz trade or a return from injury or a huge comeback win to stir them up. Now, I just don't know what it's going to take. So it won't surprise me if they go 75-87, and it won't surprise me if they go 90-72. Either way, I don't see them making the playoffs. And that's a damn shame. I hope they put up a fight, though.

9. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Just my luck. Phils will finally finish in front of the Braves ... and still finish in third place.

10. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

You call Jorge Sosa, who has a 1-9 record after tonight, and those two guys out of the bullpen talent? I know they still have Chipper and Andruw, but the pitching is atrocious right now.

I hate to say it, but the Braves are done.

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Moddy, it's got to be a special day when you hear your boy say "Vats of dong."

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I was as proud of him as I was the day he graduated!  That's me boy.

He went out and bought a Nats shirt tonight. We're going to see them lose to the Yanks on Saturday.

Draft saved Draft deleted