1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Braves

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, May 6, 2006.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

No, but the wild card wouldn't be impossible. The pitching has been a bit better lately, though they really need Hudson to step up and they need to acquire a servicable closer. Even somebody like Bob Wickman, who is certainly trade bait, would be a big help.

2. dog428

dog428 Active Member

I want to make it clear that I wasn't saying the Braves have a shot at the division. I mean, technically, maybe a small chance. But I think if the Mets were gonna start pissing this away they would've been well on their way by now.

The wild card, though, that's a different story. And since this is the "RIP Braves," the wild card works as well as anything for proving you don't start one of these threads in May.  

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

Agree completely, dog.

And since Pelfrey has pitched OK for 2 starts and Beltran is on a fucking tear, I can't see how the Mets can blow this big a lead.

4. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

OK, here's a better way of saying what I was thinking: Assume the Braves win 7 of 9 against the Mets. Add those numbers to their current records. That makes the Braves six games back with 58 to play. Not unthinkable.

5. dog428

dog428 Active Member

If the Braves win the division, with that bullpen and all the early season shit, they should rename the Manager of the Year award the Bobby Cox Award and just give him the damn thing every year until he retires.

6. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Give the Braves credit for coming back from the (almost) dead, but I'm still not a believer. They've been hitting the snot out of the ball, which has made their shitty bullpen moot, but that can't go on forever. Get back to me when their relievers hold a two-run late-inning lead three or four times in a row, if that ever happens.

The wild card is a possiblity, but they still ain't catching the Mets, who've shown no signs of going into an extended slump even with Pedro down. He should be back soon with a fresh arm and a reasonably healthy hip, in which case the Braves can forget about winning the division, no matter what mathematical scenarios anyone wants to come up with.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

That works both ways though. What if Pedro isn't alright and a couple of their hitters get hurt? Meanwhile the Jones Boys go on a tear, Hudson figures it out and the Braves find a way to add a bullpen guy then can trust?

I'd give the division to the Mets right now except for one small problem. It's the Mets. Anything is possible.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

Beltran, Floyd, Delgado, Nady, Reyes and Pedro all have missed time already this season. Nady, LoDuca and Reyes all are currently playing hurt.
    And still the Mets lead by 11½ games.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

:D

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

In late June of 1999, the San Diego Padres were 14 games under .500 and buried in last in the NL West.

They won their next 14 games.

At the end of the season, they were 74-88, 14 games under .500.

Sounds about like how the Braves will finish.

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I don't think you can compare the current Braves to a Padres team of any era. :D

And youth = anything can happen. Good or bad. They can lose their next 15 or win their next 15, and I wouldn't be surprised at either. When you've got a ton of youngsters, well ... as Joaquin Andujar said, there's one word that says it all: youneverknow.

The pitching, of course, HAS to get better for them to have a chance at anything this year. But I counted the Bravos out in 2003, and they fooled me. I counted them out in 2004, and they fooled me. I started to count them out last year, then remembered the previous two and stuck with them. I am not counting them out this year. They'll have to prove me wrong again this time.

12. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Spnited took the words out of my mouth. Injuries to Pedro and their hitters have already happened and the Mets are still sailing along. If anything, they stand to get healthier, not more banged up in the second half. Not to mention that Cliff Floyd, who gave them next to nothing in the first half, seems to be heating up. Because of their big lead, they've been able to give their main guys enough rest so that they shouldn't be dragging in August and September. No matter how hot the Braves get, they're going to need a lot of help from the Mets to win the division, and there's no reason to think they're going to get it.

Draft saved Draft deleted