1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Dickey Betts

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Michael_ Gee, Apr 18, 2024.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Rolling Stone reports Allman Brothers guitarist dead at age 80. Not merely a great player, but an outstanding songwriter.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Dang it. That just leaves Jaimoe as the last original Allman Brothers Band founder.

While "Ramblin' Man" will get all the mentions in obits of him, I think the best song he wrote was "Blue Sky."

3. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Yeah, RIP.
    He wrote Ramblin Man, Blue Sky, Jessica, and others.
    I was fortunate enough to see the Allmans when the classic lineup was still together (not Duane or Berry).

4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Pretty much helped invent southern rock. The definition of too tough to die, massive talent but man does he come across really bad in One Way Out, a terrific oral bio of the ABB.

And yeah, Blue Sky is an awesome song.

FileNotFound and Driftwood like this.
  5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

6. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Dude got kicked out of the band because he drank too much. That takes some doing with that group.

7. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I forget the name of the book I read about the band, but one story had Betts riding along one night, decide he was hungry, pull over, shoot a cow, an just cut a slab out of it.

8. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Aw, man. They're dropping like dominoes.

I screwed around and got old.

RIP to one helluva musician. Another one done gone, lawd, lawd.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

And with the Grateful Dead helped invent jambands as well. A 42-minute "Mountain Jam!?!" Yes, please.

Chef2, garrow, Azrael and 5 others like this.
  10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

There isn’t a wasted note on Fillmore East, especially on that epic Mountain Jam.

11. John

John Well-Known Member

There may not be a better road trip song than Jessica. Unless it's Revival.

Slacker likes this.
  12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

If you’ve never lived or worked in South Georgia, it’s hard to express just how damn big and unpopulated so much of it feels, hundreds of miles and decades removed from the sprawl of Atlanta.

And nothing captures that feeling like Melissa, words and melody alike. I will forever associate it with those dying little whistle stops inside the Macon-Valdosta-Savannah triangle of emptiness.

Big Circus, Slacker, garrow and 5 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted